Helmet with face protection?

Paddling gear and boat review
justanovice
Name: Sandy

Re: Helmet with face protection?

Post by justanovice » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Steve,
Your post above really gives us newbies like myself something to think about as well as some comfort. Have you ever just really loved something but been lousy at it? That's kayaking for me. At my current ability, I am illiterate at reading the river, but I yearn to learn with a passion. The physics of it don't make sense to me. One of my recent swims was due to not leaning into a rock. Well, actually, I did lean into it at first (learned that at WW school), but I didn't know for how long I needed to lean into it and I pushed away. FLIP. My second swim was decision by indecision. Right or Left? Well, when you don't choose quickly, the river chooses it for you. Sideways. Not good. The third thing I learned...wear gloves in the winter. When you can't hold onto the bow of a rescue canoe because you can't feel your fingers, you have a problem. So, someday I'd love to "dance with the river", but for now I'm just learning to crawl. I learn so much by reading the posts of more experienced boaters...now,if I can only apply it to the river.
Thanks for posting,
Sandy
Sandy S.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:34 pm

My bet is most if not all the folks reading and writing these ACC message board posts did their share of mistakes and swims starting out their boating career. I know I did and still take a swim now and then. We all learn from and depend on each other and I have never met a boater who did not come to the aid as needed to any boater they met on the water that needed help.

The main success factor to becoming a more skilled boater, in my opinion is to take note of what happened and how you could have changed the outcome, go back to easier water, get coaching, practice till you feel good about it and go back and have fun.

For me the places I have seen and people I have met boating for a long time make this sport the one I love the most. It is worth the effort to increase your tool box of boating technique.

Bottom line, don't get discouraged just go out and have fun. Having fun might be waiting for warmer weather or easier runs or with the proper gear go when ever. ACC Canoe School is always a good place to learn, refresh skills and always meet other boaters.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:34 pm

Good advice from both Steve and Okie, so all I'm going to say is "ditto".
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:22 pm

I hear you Dave. I thought I did fairly good for first time on that part. I am saying not anytime soon I really didn't mean doing it real soon. I promised someone I would not. I will continue others rivers I have done and most of them I am comfortable with. Will go back next year to do the Nante. I also bought the new helmet for more protection on any rivers I run. It could happen even on the milder rivers getting a broken nose. So that is why I will be wearing more protection for the head and face. NO I definitely am not discouraged. I am tough and won't let one thing stop me.

Dave, I did go and buy a Kokatot goretex drysuit which was well worth it and after healed up I will be back out there although I will be doing the bayou float New Years Day. I now have used the drysuit 3 times, it is great.

Steve I wasn't asking for someone to say to me OH Yeah you can do it. I mean thoughts on going again after I develop more skills and eddies, etc before I take that move again. I did catch a lot of the eddies that day, my main thing in catching them is the small ones and right directly behind the rock or whatever is causing the eddy. I can ferry decently but need little more confidence with that. Plan to do more surfing as I go. Only thing that would keep me from paddling this winter is temps in the 30's and cloudy. Give me the days when in the upper 40's to 50's or higher with sunshine.

Karla

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Also Dave. YOu mentioned take note of what happened. I have done that and looked back at each rapid I swam in (total of 3) and know what mistakes I made and I did see on my video what it was that flipped me and saw the rock I hit and looks like I caught part of it on my right because mose of the swelling and bruising was on my right side and top of nose where I busted it open. Have heard what each of you said and I have learned from this experience.

Karla

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:55 am

Another boating bud told me words to the effect that experience is "Mistakes you live through and learn from" . Go for it and enjoy.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

justanovice
Name: Sandy

Post by justanovice » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Dave,
Thanks for sharing your kayak knowledge with us novices (speaking of myself and my kids; not you Karla :D) . Some things that seem like just common sense to experienced paddlers have to be learned by those of us who can't get on the water often enough. As a teacher, I am constantly telling my students that "mistakes are ok as long as we learn from them". Now I need to apply that to myself. :poke2:
Sandy
Sandy S.

Social Media