snorkeling camera?

Paddling gear and boat review

David Mac

snorkeling camera?

Post by David Mac » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:25 pm

I’ve seen multiple camera review threads on here years and of course now I can’t find them. Not sure if they’d have the info I’m looking for anyway since it seems that most “waterproof” digitals are only good to 10 feet and (if you read the fine print) only good for up to 30 minutes at that depth.

I’m looking for something that can survive a little longer and/or deeper immersion for a salt-water snorkeling trip that I might get to go on.

Since it’s basically for a one time trip I don’t want to go for an all-out dive camera, but even for snorkeling I expect to break the 10’ limit a time or three and will almost certainly be immersed for more than half an hour.
I found a Vivitar V8400 for $70 on Amazon that is supposed to be good to 10 meters (30’) but I know next to nothing about it.

Any recommendations?

David Mc
Rule #1: Never throw $#!^ at an armed man.
Rule #2: Never stand next to someone throwing $#!^ at an armed man.

Ctaylor
Name: Caleb

Re: snorkeling camera?

Post by Ctaylor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:16 pm

I don't know where you are headed but I know there are a lot of places down at the gulf that will rent a dive camera for a small fee. That may be a better option for quality pictures. I hope that helps. You can always contact the local dive shop and check their rental rates. It's just a thought.

David Mac

Re: snorkeling camera?

Post by David Mac » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:04 pm

I hadn't thought of that option.

I was looking at it from the prespective that my W10 is getting old(ish)(5MP and battery life starting to get short) and any camera good enough for snorkeling would be just as good back on the river later. But if renting isn't too expensive it might be a better option. I can always replace the W10 later.

DM
Rule #1: Never throw $#!^ at an armed man.
Rule #2: Never stand next to someone throwing $#!^ at an armed man.

Social Media