Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board

Paddling gear and boat review

Mike_P
Name: Mike Potts

Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board

Post by Mike_P » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 pm

This thing looks like it would be a lot of fun & an easy way to try a little stand up paddling. But is it really worth $1000??? :shock: It's hard for me to comprehend how expensive inflatable crafts are (stand up boards, rafts, kayaks, etc).

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1854" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kozoself
Name: Linda

Re: Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board

Post by kozoself » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi.
I can't speak for that particular board, but I just got a Liquidlogic Versa Board. It is super stable standing... I don't think I could dump it on flat water if I tried. As a SOT kayak it's fine. And the fact that its heavy plastic means it's tough...I plan to take it down the river for the first time on Saturday. I suspect that the weight and width makes it considerably slower than the NRS board but it is more "versa"tile and a little less expensive.
Linda
Linda Self

Because nobody goes through life without a scar.
Carol Burnett

Shep
Name: Paul Shepherd

Post by Shep » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 am

I am also interested in the NRS inflatable board. I have tried to carry the Versa Board, and I could be accused being stronger than I am smart, but it still seemed awfully heavy to me. :roll:

Shep
Paul Shepherd

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats (said the water rat solemnly)." - Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:22 am

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/gallery/sho ... php?i=4615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check this one out

I often hear that labs have all the dog fun, this might just prove it!

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Completely agree with you Shep! I'd love to demo one. The plastic boards are approx 50 lbs. The inflatables are more like 30 lbs.

DMG
Name: Dave Renfro

Post by DMG » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 pm

The $1000 price tag for an inflateable board doesn't surprise me that much considering the technology used. They're a different beast than low-pressure rafts in that they incorporate vertical strands of fiber between the top and bottom surfaces to give them their shape. Otherwise they would blow up into big, round sausages. Just building a flat board of a certain thickness would seem problematic enough; how they build tapered boards with rocker is completely beyond me! I don't know, $1000 for a roto-molded playboat seems much harder to swallow than the same amount for an inflateable board, especially considering that I bought a brand-new Jackson "Classic" playboat for $600. Just a thought.

~Dave

(Actually I'm just trying to talk you into buying one so I can try it out!)
"...a light falling sound, as of grains of sand being sprinkled from a window overhead, gradually spreading, intensifying, acquiring a regular rhythm, becoming fluid, sonorous, musical, immeasurable, universal: it was the rain." --Marcel Proust

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Good points. I had never given SUP much thought until I recently paddled with a guy who does it a lot and was discussing it's virtues. Let's just say I was/am intrigued. I think it would be a great way to stay in shape.

Mike_P

Post by Mike_P » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:28 am

So getting closer to purchasing one of these things. I demo'd a "hard board" in Jan during a trip to Florida. It was a big surf board and not something I would feel comfortable taking on a river. I have also demo'd the LL Versaboard. Very stable, but very heavy & seemingly awkward to carry and throw on top of my vehicle. Would be something awesome for an outfitter (like Turner Bend) to carry! :poke2:

Would love to demo the NRS and C4Waterman boards but may have to take my chances with a purchase. I've heard some say the inflatables give a little when you stand on them. Dave's description of the design is spot on (I under appreciated what goes into the build).

Been looking at this one from C4Waterman, which supposedly takes a bit more PSI than the NRS board.

http://www.c4waterman.com/2012/boards/i ... pid-rider/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I have this "RiverSUP" DVD which is a very nice overview: http://store.c4waterman.com/ProductDeta ... Click=2053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MIke

Clif

Post by Clif » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 am

They were huge out on Hawaii, aka big isle. All over the place. For rent, for sale..even at wally world. Got me to wondering how good one of those long paddles would work in my raft???

I, also, do not see the appeal? Guess I oughta try one :confused:
You sure this is on the right channel?

PaddleFinatic

Post by PaddleFinatic » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 am

I own a SUP company, Paddle Finatics, in northwest Arkansas, and carry Pau Hana stand up paddle boards. I can attest these are great boards for all levels of paddlers. I recently took my board on the Illinois River and had a blast.....it was, to me, much more fun than a canoe or kayak! The Pau Hana boards are extemely stable. And the Pau Hana boards are made from epoxy resin making them strong and lighter (about 22 pounds) than the fiberglass and plastic boards! And, the SUPs can go in ANY kind of water! Not to mention the total body fitness benefits :D
However, because of the rocky terrain in this region, I will soon be carrying inflatable SUPs from boardworks. I have not been on an inflatable as of yet, but look forward to trying it out. As well as sales, I do demos, lessons, and plan to rent the inflatables. Please check out my website; http://www.paddleFINatics.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and contact me if you have any questions!
When the work is done.......its Paddle Time!!
Just Stand Up and Paddle!!!!!!!

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Post by we66erno1 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

Best deal On SUPs is to buy direct. I'm getting mine from these people. No middle man equals less mark up.

Check 'em out. They have inflatables for less the. $500 and foam core ones for less then $700

http://www.towerpaddleboards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

alton
Name: alton

Post by alton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Nice post. I like it. Thanks for sharing these information. Keep it up. :clap: :yahoo:
alton

PaddleFinatic

Post by PaddleFinatic » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 am

The Boardworks Inflatable Boards are SOOO worth the money!! They are the best design on the market, offer several different models, and are made of military grade rubber (like Zodiac boats). They come with a backpack and a pump.

Social Media