Waterproof / Water-Resistant Digital Cameras

Paddling gear and boat review
Trismegistus
Name: John

Waterproof / Water-Resistant Digital Cameras

Post by Trismegistus » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:05 am

OK so you’re looking for a camera that can hold up to the rigors of paddling and the occasional dunk in the brink. Fortunately manufacturers are listening to us and are releasing some great all-around water-resistant and water-proof cameras that can take a fairly good beating and still produce some excellent photos and films.

Right off the bat I want to give you a couple of useful links to help compare cameras – their specifications, costs, user reviews, etc. First is Steve’s Digicams – I know of no better place than Steve’s when it comes to nuts and bolts reviews. Check out Steve’s Digicam Reviews.

The other site I want to mention is Digideep – this site provides a market overview of the essential equipment for digital underwater photography and is the first place to look to when comparing “waterproof housings” for the various cameras out there that may not be fully waterproof – if you already have a great digital camera may be all you need is a “waterproof housing” so check out Digideep Underwater Photography.

And one last bit of information – how water-proof is water-proof? Well fortunately all manufacturers are suppose to comply with the following Universal Waterproof Gradings:

Grade 0 - Non-protected
Grade 1 - Protected against vertically falling water drops.
Grade 2 - Protected against vertically falling water drops when enclosure is tilted up to 15 degrees.
Grade 3 - Protected against spraying water at an angle up to 60 degrees on either side of vertical.
Grade 4 - Protected against splashing water. Ten minutes of a light 360 degree spray.
Grade 5 - Protected against water jets from all practicable directions for 3 minutes.
Grade 6 - Protected against powerful water jets from any direction shall have no harmful effects for 3 minutes.
Grade 7 - Protected against the effects of temporary immersion in water up to 1m deep for 30 minutes.
Grade 8 - Protected against the effects of continuous immersion in water.

CAMERAS

Sony DSCU60 – ** The camera that started it all – the first lightweight digital waterproof camera specifically developed for the water enthusiast. Uniquely designed for one hand use this camera has a fast start-up time and is waterproof up to 5 feet deep. Unfortuantely by current standards it’s a bit of an under-performer with a 2.0 megapixel effective resolution and 1x Optical Zoom – but that also means that there are some real bargains out there in the used market -- I've seen some for $50.00!! It has a 1.0 inch hybrid LCD monitor, built-in flash, 1-inch LCD monitor, MPEG movie mode (no audio) and uses rechargeable NiMH AAA batteries. Great little camera!

Pentax Optio WP -- **** My current favorite because the prices are falling way down into the $200.00 range for a truly easy-to-operate 5.1 megapixal camera with 3x optical zoom (4x digital zoom). Slim and thin this boy can get let lost in your PFD pocket; yet despite its compact dimensions, its well-designed grip ensures the camera remains safe and stable in the hands when shooting at all times. Waterproof performance enables approximately 30 minutes of continuous underwater swimming at a depth of up to 1.5m (Class 8 waterproof performance). The large, 2.0-inch LCD monitor works well except under the harshest direct sunlight and the LCD monitor also features a power saving mode that extends battery life by automatically reducing the intensity of the backlighting. Continuous AF and tracking AF keep moving subjects in focus. And I really like the camera’s ability to record movies (Quicktime) – using larger SD chips I can record over 30 mins of good quality 30 fps film and sound. If there was a weakness to this camera it would be 1) it doesn’t float, 2) there’s no lens cover and 3) it requires a special –and sometimes hard to find -- rechargeable lithium ion battery that is used specifically by Pentax. Although it is a great battery – light and strong -- and is good for about 150-200 shots (more if not using the flash) you best take an extra battery and/or the recharger with you if you’re going on a longer trip. Note: Look around for the camera's 4 megapixal predecessor -- great camera as well -- and if you can buy one for around $100-150.00 snap it up!

Olympus Stylus 800/mju Digital 800 -- **** Well Olympus is not to be outdone and although their Stylus cameras have disappointed critics in the past due to relatively poor image quality, Olympus is out to move ahead with this new 8 megapixal water-proof camera at a very reasonable price ($375.00). The image quality is far superior to previous models of the Stylus cameras!! And like its predecessors – the Stylus 300 and 400 – this camera is stylish, ultra-compact, weather resistant and very easy to use. You can expect all the standard bell and whistles – 3x optical zoom, 5 x digital zoom, 2.5 inch LCD monitor, built-in flash – but this also a “near-prosumer camera” in which users can also satisfy their more demanding creative urges using the Aperture and Shutter Priority modes. Similarly Macro and Super Macro modes provide plenty of opportunities for capturing subjects in fine detail from as little as only 3cm away. The camera is also equipped with a movie recording function that can capture action, with sound, in near-VGA quality (Quicktime). This is an exceptional camera for those movie buffs out there who don’t want to carry heavy and/or more expensive equipment. Negatives include the need to use proprietary memory cards -- Olympus xD-Picture Cards – and the using a rechargeable battery that may not be readily accessible in the backwoods of Arkansas. Haven’t used this camera yet but it has a lot going for it.

Nikon D2X Digital Camera -- ***** So you want the best water-resistant camera available on the market – then you’ll have to take a look at this $5000.00 model from Nikon. Or wait a year or so as prices tumble and pick one up similar to it for half the cost. With a resolution of nearly 13 megapixals and every feature a professional would ever need – this is THE camera. Even though it is a true SLR (look through the lens) camera it still have a nice 2.5 inch LCD monitor. Nikon has applied numerous rubber gaskets between body portions, controls and compartment doors to improve the camera's environmental sealing. They aren't claiming the camera to be waterproof – moreover remember that the camera is only as weather proof as its weakest link, this is includes the lens mount and only a few of the more recent Nikkor lenses have rubber seals around the mount ring. Thus if you lay out $5000.00 for this camera you still might consider buying an underwater housing if you’ll be in the water with the camera. Not a whole lot of negatives outside of price, no built-in flash and inability to record movies – it does use a proprietary battery however so you might want to buy a couple of extras. And of course there are all kinds of accessories and lenses you can purchase to fulfill every photography passion that you have ever wanted to express.
Last edited by Trismegistus on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jody

Post by Jody » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:11 pm

I love my new Pentax Optio WP. I bought 3 batteries total and they lasted through a 6 day river trip with two extra days on either end for raft-rigging and driving out. I will be posting those Yampa pics soon and it would be good to keep in mind that I was in the process of learning how to use the camera.

Since it isn't floatable, I just used a long lanyard tied not around my neck, but to my lPFD, while stowing the camera in the PFD pocket...easy access and the water splashes were no problem, except it can fog over...

The movie thing is super cool...I took movies of the man eater rapids and others in a helmet cam type manner...all the while never getting low on batteries! Has sound also...even a simple voice recorder mode so I was able to capture my mom telling the story of my dad proposing while we walked the streets of new york city! Very cool.

ANd with a 512 mb memory card, I took hundreds of pictures, and even with the movies, the card lasted throughout the trip plus...

Great quality pics, cool movies, and easy to use. Thanks to everyone involved in that purchase.

jojo

rafter

Post by rafter » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:30 pm

Jody,
Some of us are patiently waiting for a copy of those pictures!! (of course, I haven't sent DVD's of the video yet, either) Crane

Chester

Post by Chester » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:20 pm

Above link to Steve's Reviews is invalid. It shud be corrected to here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm :)

Trismegistus

Post by Trismegistus » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:37 am

Thanks Chester!! I love Steve's Digicams -- now those boys know how to review a camera!

Also want to add one other useful link -- nice site supported by Pentax: Tricks and Tips Using Optio Waterproof Cameras

David L

Post by David L » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:21 am

Steve's digicams is a good site; also check out http://www.dcresource.com for good, comprehensive reviews.

Trismegistus

Post by Trismegistus » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:49 am

Update:

#1 -- The Pentax Optio WP has been upgraded to 6 megapixals (street price just over $300.00) resulting in some significant price reductions in the 5 megapixal model (now approaching $200.00) and 4 megapixal models.

#2 -- Have had my hands on the Olympus camera and it would be my camera of choice with one exception: it is not waterproof--only water resistent -- albeit Olympus advertisements show the camera being submerged in water to no detrimental effect. The lens is not encased and is retractable -- this may be why it is not completely waterproof. If you want "waterproof" -- the Pentax WP is still the way to go. It seems to use the same underlying electronics as the Pentax and operates in much the same manner. The big difference -- a huge 2.5" LCD screen, 8 megapixal resolution and better operation in low light situations. Very nice camera.

#3 -- IMPORTANT: Even waterproof cameras aren't completely "airtight" -- in high humidity settings and with fluctuations in air temperature water vapor can collect within the camera and condense on sensitive electronic components. If you detect condensation on eyepiece, lens, or LCD monitor do not operate until the camera has had a chance to "air out" -- open all compartments, battery case, etc. and subject camera to low level heat -- say a space heater set on low, etc. -- until you are confident that all moisture is gone -- this may take some time -- we're talking hours. Can't yet comment on durability

rafter

Post by rafter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:45 am

FYI, Prices are dropping for Optio WPi 6.3 mp cameras. I bought one on-line yesterday for $235 less a $30 rebate. (Of course, I also needed to buy a 4 hour battery and a gig or better memory card for it to be effective for a long trip). Crane

KachinaDancer

Post by KachinaDancer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:02 pm

The Optio WP rocks. I've had one for about a year now with no problems and hundreds of pictures. I've used it while kayaking, snorkeling, skiing, hiking, etc with now issues at all. Takes great pics as seen below:

http://image64.webshots.com/64/9/18/74/ ... JAU_fs.jpg

Only cons to the camera are: (1) quite a bit of distortion at the edges due to so-so optics in the lens, (2) hard to remember to squeegie the lens after pulling it out of the PFD pocket so I get water droplet distortions quite often. They need to put a lens wiper on it. Otherwise, sweet rig and highly recommended.

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:36 pm

Hey digi-heads, in April of 06... is the Pentax WP Optio still THE camera to buy for rugged portability?
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

J Helms
Name: John Helms

Post by J Helms » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:40 am

Robkanraft:

Just so happens I was in LR the other day at Best Buy and noticed that Olympus has a new WATERPROOF dig. camera that is advertised to be waterproof at up to 10 ft. depth for 1 hour, as well as shockproof rating of 5ft. drop :shock: :shock:
Looks like a really good choice, but may or may not be any better than the Pentax Optio WP???
Price at BB was $399 (which is full retail)
Just something for you to ponder on.
PS: and here's a link for you:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... oduct=1225

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Thanks John, one to look at for sure.
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:56 pm

Chester recently researched this. The two front runners seem to be:

Pentax Optio W10
Olympus Stylus 720SW

Based on reviews at the steves-digicams site, it seems the Pentax has a significant advantage if you want to take short video clips due to a 30 fps capability vs the 15 fps of the Olympus; but if you want the highest quality still photos even under poor lighting conditions, then the Olympus should be your first choice. The Olympus claims slightly more waterproofness, but many paddlers are getting excellent results with the Pentax series so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

9/10 Pentax owners are very pleased. I'm number 10; I've got a 43WR that quit consistently taking good photos shortly after purchase, and takes VERY grainy photos if lighting conditions are poor. Partly my fault because I've never sent it back to the factory to see "what the hey???", but the experience will likely cause me to chose the Olympus.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:56 pm

Just took possesion of a Pentax W10.

Have not tested the water proof ness yet, but did take it on one trip and the photos and the movie clips are really nice.

Picked mine up at Abes of Maine, but there are deals all over the place.

At the rate these cameras are adding features plus the sizes of the flash memory cards, the regular movie cameras better look out
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

James Canon

Post by James Canon » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:26 pm

okieboater wrote:Have not tested the water proof ness yet, but did take it on one trip and the photos and the movie clips are really nice.
Hey Okie, I picked up a W10 a few weeks ago from Abes of Maine as well!
Here's what they say about the waterproofness. ("The Optio W10 complies with JIS class 8 waterproof performance, enabling it to withstand up to 30 minutes of continuous operation at an underwater depth of 1.5 meters.")

:shock: 30 minutes!! I didn't know there was a time limit! I easily tested mine for 30+ minutes while snorkeling at Cozumel. So far I haven't had any problems. Guess I should read the manual huh?:wink: Picked up an ultraspeed 2 gig SD card for $50 too. So far it's worked flawlessly. The W10 has a lot of different modes to choose from. I've gotta put my nose in the book at some point and figure all that stuff out.

Social Media