Waterproof camera reviews at DPreview.com

Paddling gear and boat review

Zach

Waterproof camera reviews at DPreview.com

Post by Zach » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:13 am

dpreview.com did a shootout of waterproof cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Re: Waterproof camera reviews at DPreview.com

Post by Karla » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23 am

I just bought a new Olympus tough 8000 and I love it. It has more features and easy to operate and is 12 MPs. It does panaramic which is great too.

drparrothead
Name: charlie

Post by drparrothead » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:03 pm

I got one of the older Olympus waterproof cameras, I think it's the 790. Awesome. It's only 7.1 mps but has performed above expectations. It's been on floats, the beach, even a cold trip to rural Russia. BIG thumbs up.

Crane

Post by Crane » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 am

For about $160 now you can get a 10 mpx waterproof Pentax or Olympus... Not good tooooo deep, but the prices are getting so right its hard to resist!
Crane

RandyJ
Name: Randy Jackson

Post by RandyJ » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:07 pm

Also bought an Oly Tough 8000 a few months back, but will be returning for warranty svc for the 3rd time next week. Seal problems each time. First time they replaced the whole camera. Second time could have been user error from not getting one of the access doors snapped shut tightly after recharging. They replaced the board and lens from this incident. Most recent was at Rockport. Had camera in PFD pocket. Never took it out or turned it on, but got water inside cam. Now it won't work at all - its brain thinks the media door isn't closed.

Never had either cam below 4-5' deep. Would have expected a little more "Tough" for a camera rated to 10 meters/33 feet depth and shockproof.

Hope others have better luck than I've had. Seemed like almost ideal kayaker's camera. Small, rugged (?), image stabilization. Might switch to Pentax. Would go with new Canon model - love the quality of their imaging overall, but don't like the bulk of the new waterproof model.

That's my experience and $0.02, for what they're worth.
Let there be rain!

BooF4FooD
Name: Jared

Post by BooF4FooD » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:20 pm

the panasonic lumix ts1 i believe.... thats looking like the best one out right now... 400$ price tag though... found one on amazon though around 349$

turboturtle

Post by turboturtle » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:48 pm

I've been beating my Pentax W-30 to death for Two plus years now without issues. I've also heard stories of one dieing the first time it hit the water.
Every manufacturer is going to have some duds in the bunch. I think it's a plus to buy local retail as opposed to mail order for service sake for any of them.
Ten Thousand RPM's One Mile an Hour!

"Get a little every time you go"- Cowper

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Post by BEubanks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Have a Pentax W30 for our OBU outdoor classes. Had nothing but praise until earlier this summer when swimming on the 'tot (not because I missed a roll--was there snorkling in low water; had camera in back pocket). Got water in the screen/viewer. Camera still worked and it dried out, but we're sending it back to company.

I see their latest version, the w80, is due out soon, or maybe is already out.

BooF4FooD
Name: Jared

Post by BooF4FooD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:02 pm

us75n
Name: James

Post by us75n » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:10 am

I have the Olympus 1050 and have had it for about 2 years, I have found it to take all that I can dish. I have run it through a couple of class five creeks and over the edge of several mountains and it still has yet to fail me.
I have found a few flaws that seem to follow any device trying to fill to many shoes. As a video cam it has a few short commings and as still cam it does a great job(that is what it was designed for). yes I have tested the cold feature by placing it in the freezer( and yes the light does turn off when you close the door).

I like the new version of my cam(6000 and 8000) because they did away with the sliding lens cover.
James

The best water isn't always drinkable...

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:56 pm

I am on my way home from Alaska tonight. Have used my new Olympus stylus tough 8000 on this trip and it has been great. It has new features I really like, have had no problems with it, took it in the pool and no problems. It has 12 Mp and I will have some pics posted this week from the trip on my webshots when we get back. I love this new camera.

Karla

perspective7
Name: Seth

Post by perspective7 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 pm

I just bought an Olympus Tough 6000 - 10 mp - for around $300 and I'm fairly impressed...(I'm hard to impress :-) Underwater video and the whole works seems great...havn't had the chance to take it on a WW trip yet...still waiting for water.....

RandyJ
Name: Randy Jackson

Post by RandyJ » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:09 pm

RandyJ wrote:Also bought an Oly Tough 8000 a few months back, but will be returning for warranty svc for the 3rd time next week. Seal problems each time. First time they replaced the whole camera. Second time could have been user error from not getting one of the access doors snapped shut tightly after recharging. They replaced the board and lens from this incident. Most recent was at Rockport. Had camera in PFD pocket. Never took it out or turned it on, but got water inside cam. Now it won't work at all - its brain thinks the media door isn't closed.

Never had either cam below 4-5' deep. Would have expected a little more "Tough" for a camera rated to 10 meters/33 feet depth and shockproof.

Hope others have better luck than I've had. Seemed like almost ideal kayaker's camera. Small, rugged (?), image stabilization. Might switch to Pentax. Would go with new Canon model - love the quality of their imaging overall, but don't like the bulk of the new waterproof model.

That's my experience and $0.02, for what they're worth.
Olympus just sent me a total replacement for my Tough 8000. Hope to have better luck with this one.
Let there be rain!

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 pm

I have an Olympus Stylus 1030SW. I love it for kayaking and backpacking!

Social Media