Bilge pump and battery set up in canoe. Need help.

Paddling gear and boat review

mb

Bilge pump and battery set up in canoe. Need help.

Post by mb » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:01 am

While I have many manly skills in the material world, electrical knowledge and a good deal of mechanical stuff is not part of my package.

I have a bilge pump that came with my boat. Where is a good place---the best place in NW AR to get what I need so that I can pump water? What type of battery? Do I need to buy a water proof switch or can I make one myself? I sure will appreciate you advice.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Bilge pump and battery set up in canoe. Need help.

Post by Cowper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:54 am

Search on "bilge" on this website and you'll find several threads that go into considerable detail.

for your "first round" of questions, my advice would be:
1) Verify whether your pump is 6 volt or 12 volt (probably 12), then get a sealed lead-acid battery from Radio shack - 4 amp-hours or greater recommended, in that voltage. These are very common in emergency lighting systems, alarm systems, etc, so if you know anyone in that business you may find them even cheaper.
2) Waterproof switches are nice - but several folks I know don't bother. just a cheap 12V switch, from either Radio Shack or Auto Zone will do the job. Since it isn't waterproof, you may have to replace it every 2 or 3 years, OR, you could spend 3 or 4 times as much for a waterproof switch, which may last a few years longer.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

painterbob

Post by painterbob » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:20 am

http://www.riverjunkies.net/howto/openb ... system.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can use a bilge that has a float instead of the switch set-up. but i don't know why you need one m.b. to get water in your canoe .... YOU NEED TO USE IT !! :poke:

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Got my switch from Academy sports, just a toggle for a bass boat bilge. Used marine goop to seal it in.
Battery is from Batteries.com? basically 10 C-cells in series in a sealed package. Charger and all for about $70. Used on Ocoee for 2 days without recharge.
My battery is in plastic bottle, all connections are inside. Bottle fits in my saddle.
Pump is just behind saddle, between feet.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:42 pm

painterbob wrote:you can use a bilge that has a float instead of the switch set-up.
If you use an auto switch, you want one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0036194018214a.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I installed one on DeBo's boat, it works like a champ. I still recommend a three-position switch though, to get "off", "on", and "auto" positions. If you leave it in Auto, it will stop pumping while there is still an inch or two of water sloshing around in the bottom of your boat, so a "manual" over-ride allows you to get that last little bit, then return to your "auto" setting so that you never have to take your hands off the paddle in the middle of a rapid.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Owl

Post by Owl » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:35 pm

mb:

Another alternative would be to get a more technologically advanced watercraft with integral water-management capability. It's called a "kayak" and you wear a "spray skirt" to keep the water out of the boat. :poke: I've got a couple of extras so just say the word if you want to try one.

Once you go 'yak you never go back . :)

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:34 pm

you can also search the forum on http://www.Cboats.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The forum is made up of all C-1 and OC-1 paddlers from around the globe. bilge pump systems have been discussed and shared in great detail there.
Parrot Head Paddler

Jody

Post by Jody » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:33 am

Owl wrote:mb:

Another alternative would be to get a more technologically advanced watercraft with integral water-management capability. It's called a "kayak" and you wear a "spray skirt" to keep the water out of the boat. :poke: I've got a couple of extras so just say the word if you want to try one.

Once you go 'yak you never go back . :)
:) open boaters can't be changed by common sense or logic

mb

Post by mb » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:36 am

I love my "comforts" on the river (as well as a few emergency suppplies). With kayak I will not be able to reach into my easily accessible thrwart bag and pull out a Cliff bar or cookie while I'm waiting for the yakers to stop turning over and over (lack of boat control, I guess), or a medicinal beverage to ward off the chill...

There is also the issue of spiritual growth; the persecution I recieve at from kayakers, due to my canoe, is helping me to further develop my saintly qualities.

:)

the wiz

Post by the wiz » Fri May 15, 2009 6:43 pm

just got mine installed yesterday...definately not a pro, but it is working well. if you need a tip or want to just check it out, give me a call.

wade four seven nine 2 eight three 177 seven

mb

Post by mb » Sat May 16, 2009 12:50 am

Thanks. I will. Everything is still on my work bench...I can work or paddle or install a pump...This summer.

the wiz

Post by the wiz » Sat May 16, 2009 12:49 pm

you should work to put in your pump so that you can paddle...

really though, the pump install should not take more than a couple of hours one afternoon.

dwilson

Post by dwilson » Fri May 22, 2009 8:50 am

Use one of flying squirrels supped up solar panels ta run it. HaHa!

Scott
Name: Scott Roach

Post by Scott » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Here is a link to my setup on cboats.net

http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is about a third way down the page. It's a bit more complicated than it has to be but I have had no problems out of it and it pumps a ton of water!

About the only change I have had with that setup is that I now use two discharges, one on each side of the bulkhead instead of running it to the rear of the boat. It shortened up the run giving more output from the pumps!

Social Media