WTB Some of those little thingies

Post paddling related items for sale here or items you are looking for.
Commercial Members feel free to post your sale items here as well.

Shark Attack

WTB Some of those little thingies

Post by Shark Attack » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Some of those little things you screw into the gunnels on a canoe that you run your cords through when installing air floatation in a canoe :confused: Where do those come from?
Wes

G George
Name: george

Re: WTB Some of those little thingies

Post by G George » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:03 pm

Look at your local hardware store, get aluminum kind with rubber inserts.
I think they are for antenna cord mounting.
Or a paddle shop.
G George

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Packrat has a kit. At least last time I checked. -M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:18 am

I have some you're welcome to if you don't mind the black plastic kind (and if I can find 'em :confused:). I think I know where they are.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:14 am

Got mine at a hardware store, used for attaching cable/phone lines to house/walls. Cheap and last a long time.

Roger

Post by Roger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:14 am

Eye screws:

I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

George Locke

Post by George Locke » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Back in 1988 I had just purchased the first edition Daggar Caper now owned by Mr. "Prophet". I rigged it out with the newly devised and very expensive NRS 3d float bags. I used screws eyes in the plastic gunnels that looked about the same size Roger posted. I was very proud and a fairly hot paddler back in the dark ages so I was gonna show off for my Bros in the hottest new boat in town. Frog was running about five and the first ledge below Lancaster was rocking. I drifted into it sideways and stuck a low brace. The ride was great and the wave sent my boat submarine. The next thing I know my new bags are flat and my boat is full of water. I paddled to shore to find the water pressure straightened out the screw eyes which ripped and ruined my new bags. Ever since I drill holes beneath the gunnels. It is much cheaper in many ways.

Just FYI
Jungle Boater

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:32 pm

The metal ones are available on eBay, about $12 a hundred, Made in USA by AMS. The best are stainless or anodized and available from online hardware suppliers but much more expensive. The worst are the nylon ones which I used on my last install. They will tear out even with good rivets using stainless backing washers (these were supplied in the Northwater kit from Rutabaga and are meant to be sewn in tarps, not this application). All should go with bolts and nylock nuts or rivets and washers below the gunnels, but through the gunnel flange and hull. Otherwise you can just drill the gunnel flange and hull below the gunnels in the same spot and thread paracord through the holes to weave a cage. Then add a strap and floor anchor. You can have fun with it too instead of using black or olive green paracord. Here is the Confederate pattern paracord that I bought for the install on my Old Town.

Here is the install I did on my Sunburst using the nylon D-rings.

These are the powder coated ones found online... strapworks I think.

And the cheaper ones on eBay

Here is the kit from Rutabaga Paddlesports. The tiedowns are first rate.

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Sun May 03, 2015 6:32 pm

I think the name of those little thingies you were hunting for is eyelets. How many do you need? I have a few of the black nylon eyelets left over as I buy them by the hundred as they are cheaper that way and then I always have some to give friends. I buy them various places. Will do a search if you need to know where. Prices vary widely. Stainless steel versions are pricy, but can be found. I outfitted one of my Explorers front to back every 6 inches with eyelets holding two links of stainless steel chain so I could lash anything anywhere. Two links of chain allow the tie down to go at just about anywhere at any angle. Added a little weight and jingles sometimes, but for packing and tieing off short, it is great.

Eric Esche 479-721-9101

RiverRummer
Name: BUH

Post by RiverRummer » Sun May 03, 2015 10:28 pm

I get them off ebay. they are the black plastic ones

8 PIECE SET OF NYLON PAD EYES FOR KAYAK CANOE BOAT RIGGING $4.99 ebay

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Mon May 04, 2015 5:03 pm

I bought some from an electrical supply company. Thick plastic 50 for around $2.00 & a box of self tapping sheet metal screws for a few more bucks. Job done, The Arkota isn't going to sink! :thumbup:
Wes

ArkieBrew
Name: Rory

Post by ArkieBrew » Tue May 05, 2015 7:32 am

Shark Attack,

You mind posting some photos or describing how you drilled/mounted these to your Arkota? I was thinking about doing the same to mine. Did you go vertical through the gunnels from below? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Tue May 05, 2015 4:14 pm

I used 3/4 by 8/32 self tapping screws & went up from the bottom. Nothing to drill or stick out or snag on anything.
Wes

Social Media