WTB farmer john, base layer, gloves

Post paddling related items for sale here or items you are looking for.
Commercial Members feel free to post your sale items here as well.

rchasei
Name: Chase

WTB farmer john, base layer, gloves

Post by rchasei » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Just trying to find some used cold weather gear. I currently have only a dry top. I would like to combo that with a farmer john (large. I'm 5'10", 180lbs, 33" waist) and maybe a hydrosilk or other non-binding polypro undershirt. Also, I'm in the market for some gloves (large) if anyone's go some extras laying around.

One other thing to mention...

I've got a NRS pfd (L/XL) that just doesn't quite rub me the right way. I bought it in early 2012, so it has about a dozen trips to the river and a half dozen roll sessions of wear. I'd like to trade for a used astral or other rescue pfd.

Any leads and a bunch of rain would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chase
Last edited by rchasei on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ak48z
Name: Austin

Re: WTB farmer john, base layer, gloves

Post by ak48z » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Not quiet sure how those pads are shaped but I recently just outfitted my boat with closed minicell foam. It was only like $10 for a 24"x12"x1" sheet, a knife and some sandpaper shapes it pretty easily. Might look into that to save a few $$$.

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 pm

I would suggest looking into some pogies for your hands.. I've had the paddle spin in my hands with gloves. Not to say there are no good gloves out there, but be careful.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

rchasei

Post by rchasei » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:34 am

Excellent info, guys. This is exactly why I come to this forum. Thanks a bunch. And keep it coming.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:37 am

I agree with Tom; most of the gloves marketed to paddlers have surfaces that don't provide nearly as good a grip as a bare hand, which is unacceptable to me. One exception is some gloves that have neoprene palms, a few of these actually improve your grip is the neoprene is one of the softer variations.

I've had good luck with variations of this glove: http://glacierglove.com/our-products/fi ... inger.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most of the gloves made by this company now have a fleece liner, which I find reduces flexibility more than I care for. This particular model has a nylon lining; not as warm, but you get a really good paddle feel. They are warmer than you would expect for a 2 mm glove, because there is no nylon outer layer to cause evaporative cooling. The only down side is that the soft neoprene is easily damaged if you use these to grab briars, stack wood in cold weather, or other "heavy duty" type stuff. These are not the gloves you would wear when repairing barbed wire fences. I hate to state a "comfort zone" temperature, because I wear gloves when many paddlers are still going bare handed so YMMV, but I can get by with these gloves down to about 40 degrees; if it gets colder than that I might switch to different gloves or even add pogies over the gloves depending on circumstances.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Gtombridge
Name: Gary

Post by Gtombridge » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:36 pm

I have the velcro backed hip pads for the Badass in my XP10 that I don't use. Might want to check with LL and see if they are the same

rchasei

Post by rchasei » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Gtombridge wrote:I have the velcro backed hip pads for the Badass in my XP10 that I don't use. Might want to check with LL and see if they are the same
Awesome! I'll get with my pack rat contact and see if the item numbers match. I'll message you when I hear back.
Thanks, Gtom!

rchasei

Post by rchasei » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks to Rockstar Gary, my search for hip pads is now over.

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Post by Twindad » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Sealskinz gloves on eBay for $25.75. Light, flexible, grippy, and warm.

Social Media