Looking to buy a kayak this winter for up 240 lb paddler

Post paddling related items for sale here or items you are looking for.
Commercial Members feel free to post your sale items here as well.

tnjohndoe87
Name: John

Looking to buy a kayak this winter for up 240 lb paddler

Post by tnjohndoe87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:31 pm

I am looking to get into kayaking this spring and need a boat for a paddler up to 240 lbs. I want a decent used white water boat that is good for beginners. Thanks for any help or advice. I can be reached at tnjohndoe87@aol.com.

unicorn
Name: Ryan Hughes

Re: Looking to buy a kayak this winter for up 240 lb paddler

Post by unicorn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:23 am

I've seen a couple of diesels for sale on this board, one of the 80 gallon boats might be a good fit for ya - if not the liquid logic remix is a fantastic boat for bigger guys, although it's a little heavy. Also look out for an RPM max, or one of the bigger prijon boats (I've got a chopper that I absolutely love and I'm 6'3" - 220lb) I think I saw a samurai for sale a few weeks ago.

Good luck, I hope you find a boat that fits.
"The flower children have grown thorns" - Abbie Hoffman

G George
Name: george

Post by G George » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:18 pm

For what it's worth,
KC Paddler has a LL remix, a LL Jefe Grande, & a Pyrhana Fusion for sale on the cheap. New boats, they are getting out of whitewater boats as they dont have the sales to continue stocking them.
They have 400 boats on site for recreational, and sea kayaks, full line of accessories.
Plus Lynn, & Gary are super nice to deal with.

http://www.kcpaddler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
816-779-1195

Hope you find a good boat, George

Eric Esche
Name: Eric Esche

Post by Eric Esche » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Don't know of any for sale used at the moment, but consider the Jackson Megarocker as a possible model to try if you get a chance. Think I saw a Jackson Mega Rocker at Packrat last week if you want to look at one. Okieboater likes his and I have to say, it is the most comfortable fitting kayak without any modifications that I have ever sat in. I'm 215+ pounds in winter river gear, but I tend to carry a lot of stuff with me, or so I've been told, so we probably float about the same. "My" creek boat (Savage Skreem) which I loved, has been taken over by my wife who says it fits her much better, and is perfect for her weight (significantly less) and it is NOT for sale, and she does not want to try a Rocker instead. She did sit in a Rocker, and said the same things I did about the MegaRocker, but she says the Skreem is everything she wants, so why buy a new boat. I admit, she does "flit" in it where I tended to "plow" more, but I'd still say a Skreem's weight range is good across the board from 120 to 240.

If you could find a Skreem or an Overflow X, or an RPM Max, they would probably fit you, although lower volume than a MegaRocker, and they sell used for between $300 and $500 depending on their condition, if you can find one. Savage plastic, in my experience, is as good as Prijon plastic, so I wouldn't be scared of old boats from either of them.

Come to the NW chapter roll session in two weeks and I will let you try out the Skreem. It rolls pretty easy.

If the next roll session is anything like yesterday, there probably would be at least 3 or 4 boats folks would let you try there, if not a dozen. Come early so you have more time. Good place to meet folks too.

Roll sessions are also good places to sell and buy boats. Seen about a dozen change hands in the last three years at roll sessions, usualy to hoots and hollars, big smiles, and hand shakes, but have also heard folks tell folks IT IS NOT FOR SALE over the background noise. Doesn't hurt to ask folks if they know of any for sale, and if you ask politely if you can try one out, you usually will hear a "Sure", but best not to assume anything is for sale, unless it has a for sale sign on it. Word of mouth does find things though, and if you aren't there, you might miss a deal.

Good luck in your hunt. I think most of us have been there, and some of us still are.

Eric Esche

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:06 pm

I did a quick search and found this...

I have an RPM Max that is a classic river-runner for bigger folks... In good shape, $425... Call me if you're interested. 501-Nine Nine 33645

Crane

Post by Crane » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:36 am

I still have the RPM Max. It's still for sale & I think I have a skirt for it, too. It's the original "big boy" river-runner & is one of the easiest boats around to roll... Holler if you want more info! 501-nine nine 3-3645
Crane

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Jefe Grande on the above post would make a great boat if you are looking for a creek type boat. (I could not get the KCpaddler WW kayak to show me the goods - kept getting page not available).

RPM Max is my all time favorite river runner. Got mine in 1996 and it is still one of my favorite river running boat. All sorts of opinions on starter boats but my take is start out with a easy to roll river runner and get time on the river in. Then you have a idea of what is involved in kayaking and you can spring for a different boat design.

Been boating for many decades and have yet to find one boat that does it all. Now have 7 kayaks in my fleet and all of them get used at one time or another (correction my Big Foot Squirt boat has shrunk and I need to loose weight and get it out in summer time).

Bottom line is when starting out the need is to get out in reasonable weather on reasonable runs and get personal needs worked out soon as you can. I can feel very comfortable in saying that the first kayak you buy will not be your last - no matter how much research you do. Find a good deal and go with it.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Social Media