Buffalo Cleanup, Kyles to Erbie, Wednesday 6/8/2016

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Buffalo Cleanup, Kyles to Erbie, Wednesday 6/8/2016

Post by Cowper » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:03 am

After getting several reports that there is a fair amount of litter just downstream of Kyles Landing, I've decided to do an "end of season" cleanup of this section.

Section: Kyles to Erbie
Distance: 5.7 miles
Pace: Slow. We're looking for litter, and stopping when we see it.

Meet: Buffalo River Canoes, 10:30 AM Wednesday, June 8, 2016 *** See "Additional" below
To get there, enter N36.0311 W93.2524 into maps.google on your smart phone or your car navigational system if you have one of those, or drive to Mount Sherman West of Jasper on Highway 74 if you're still into paper maps.
Shuttle: My plan is to hire a shuttle from Buffalo Canoes, unless someone offers a better solution. I don't want to drive our own shuttle as that would knock close to 2 hours off our clean up time. Contributions toward that accepted, but not required if you're short on cash and want to join and help with the cleanup. If that plan changes, I will update here.

Additional: I will also stop at the gas station in Jasper at about 10 AM, and pick up boats and people there so that we don't have to go all the way back to Mount Sherman at the end of the day just to pick up cars. My guess is that for a mid-week float, the turn out will be low enough that we can get all of boats onto my truck and trailer.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Buffalo Cleanup, Kyles to Erbie, Wednesday 6/8/2016

Post by Cowper » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:10 am

Nine of us made it - level was 2.25' at Ponca. Put this down as the minimum level for this section, but that said, the water clarity and the scenery were both fantastic and I'd do it at this level again in a heartbeat. Got something approaching 400# of trash out of the river. Photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 891&type=1
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Re: Buffalo Cleanup, Kyles to Erbie, Wednesday 6/8/2016

Post by nathan richard » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:06 pm

Good job out there! I got to float that section for the first time over memorial day weekend. Awesome float, thanks for making it even nicer.

Social Media