UPDATED!!! May 22 - Northwest Chapter - Little Sugar float

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

UPDATED!!! May 22 - Northwest Chapter - Little Sugar float

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Mon May 16, 2016 6:31 am

Update!!! The meeting place is the same. However, we may have to run the Elk, Big Sugar or Indian Creek (Very nearby) due to water levels. These are all in the same watershed and illustrate the connection of one stream to another.

Pending appropriate water levels, the NW chapter will be running it's 2nd annual Little Sugar Float.
We will meet at "lake" Bella Vista at 10am. We will then develop a shuttle and float plan.
Bring lunch and plenty of water to hydrate.

This is a class 1 with some potential hazards. Most of which are trees.

We will be finished when we reach the end of the run. I never try to keep a schedule for that (river time)

Any questions for this trip can be directed to Tom McFetridge at four7nine-two3six-eight99two

All participants in Arkansas Canoe Club trips do so as common adventurers. The club or its individual members may coordinate paddling trips but no one is considered leader of a trip. All participants take the responsibility for making their own decisions including, but not limited to, whether to participate on any particular water body or section, what equipment they use, the routes they may choose to paddle, whether their skill levels and abilities are appropriate for the activity or whether climate and water conditions are appropriate for their participation. In choosing to participate in any posted trip, I acknowledged that paddling, like many sports, has inherent dangers which can be minimized through education and experience, but cannot be totally eliminated I hereby, for myself, my heirs, executers, and administrators waive any and all rights and claims for damage I may have against the ACC, its officers and representatives for injuries suffered by me in ACC activities.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Re: UPDATED!!! May 22 - Northwest Chapter - Little Sugar float

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Sun May 22, 2016 8:53 pm

What a great day on the creek! We had 10 paddlers run from "lake" BV to the Fletcher Ford Border Store. Huge shout-out to Loren Bates from Ozark Spokes & Floats for the amazing research, gaining access to private land and setting shuttle. This made it possible to stay on the Sugar by shortening the trip.

At around 80cfs, we had just enough water to scrape down most of the shoals. We had to get out of our boats a few times due to rocks, a few more due to trees. If I had a guess, 100cfs would be a good minimum for the creek. I'd like to see if the 90s would be good enough to keep you in your boat.
We ran it at 240cfs in 2014 and it was perfect. Gauge: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=07188838

This is a very cool creek. It runs through Bella Vista, AR. It has some serious bank erosion issues and is full of strainers, sweepers and occasional bridge debris. Any trip on this creek should have a few SWR trained, class 2 boaters on it. Nothing is too much to handle, but looking out for one another is crucial to safety on this stream.
It has some really great scenery! The blend of Ozark rock formations and strange suburban presence is interesting. I think more people paddling this stream could help bring awareness to the treasure they have in this town and take a little better care of it.

In 2014, we paddled to Gordon Hollow. Ultimately, we plan to ride this puppy all the way to the Elk. (Not all at once ;) )
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Social Media