New Mexico Memorial Day Weekend - Rio Chama and Rio Grande

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

New Mexico Memorial Day Weekend - Rio Chama and Rio Grande

Post by Jetlab67 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Will be doing laps on the lower Rio Chama Canyon section (non-permit) and Rio Grande Race Course run over Memorial Day weekend. Will also fit in some mountain-biking, trail-running and hot-springing.

Pablo
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: New Mexico Memorial Day Weekend - Rio Chama and Rio Grande

Post by okieboater » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Those runs and Lower Box for decades were where several of us Tulsa locals would be.

Couple Suggestions.

If in Taos or driving thru, the place for breakfast or after run dinners is Michaels Kitchen North end of town. They handle boating groups well and plenty of tea refills. Breakfast is awesome get there early and miss the crowd. Dinner for me was enchilida plates guaranteed to fill up a hungry boater. May well be a line unless you get there early but it moves fast and food is worth the wait. their bakery is awesome as well

The take out from Pilar is close to Zuly's in Dixon just off the highway, follow signs thru Dixon NM . Probably the best mexican food anywhere in a local not well known site. Their omelet with local sides is to die for. Anything on dinner menu is good. If looking for a bakery, try the local one in the Church Complex in "downtown Dixon area' the co op for food supplies is kinda neat as well. And a nice wine tasting at the main highway is a special treat.

A few miles down the main hiway from the Dixon turn off is Sugar's BBQ. All the BBQ dishes will fill you up and you will think you are in BBQ heaven.

We always camped along the Rio in the Forest Service camps at the Pilar Yacht Club exit. Check out the BLM office for bath rooms and local places to go as well.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Re: New Mexico Memorial Day Weekend - Rio Chama and Rio Grande

Post by Jetlab67 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Dave! Do appreciate it! Seems Michael's has gone downhill a bit over the last few years. My new fav for breakfast is La Cocina heading south toward Rancho de Taos. Will be staying in Abiquiu on this trip (my third this year) so will mainly traipse around Espanola and Chimayo area which I'm less familiar with than Taos local. I plan on getting several bike-rafting runs in on the lower Chama (packraft down/mountain bike up) and will also be bringing the Super Puma for the RG. Sure love the area and anytime I'm there it's enjoyable.

Pablo
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

Social Media