Dont shoot the Texan.. Buffalo Question

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

bobberhex
Name: Robert

Dont shoot the Texan.. Buffalo Question

Post by bobberhex » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:44 pm

We are planning on doing a float of buffalo (1st choice) or current (2nd Choice) rivers last week of June - 2nd week of July. The earliest I could get off work.

Generally speaking is there enough water to float the Buffalo or Current River.

If so, this is a family trip, and my son(14 years old) and wife are NOVICE. Which "put in and take out " would you recommend.
We have a yak, and a 169 canoe for the 3 of us.

We would like to make it a 3 to 4 day float if possible.

Oh we would love to have a Local , join if they would like.

Randy Dodson

Re: Dont shoot the Texan.. Buffalo Question

Post by Randy Dodson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:30 am

the middle and lower buffalo will likely have enough water but probably not the upper, you just have to keep an eye on the levels. there are many accesses. look at a park service map of the Buffalo to determine a 25 to 40 mile stretch depending on how many days and miles per day you're willing to paddle. I'd recommend 8 miles per day on the middle and lower sections leaving plenty of daylight to set up your camp each evening.

The Current always has enough water. It also moves along at a steady pace (even the pools) so you can do more miles per day but I still like to keep it under 10 or 12 so you have time to check out all the springs along the way. I'd recommend something between Cedargrove and Two Rivers. Once you get past Round Spring, you'll have to contend with power boats. We usually paddle from Cedargrove to Round Spring and take about 2 and a half days to do it. The Current is very crowded on summer weekends so a trip during the week is better. The Current has the added benefit of being a cold spring fed river which can feel pretty good during the hot summer. You'll also have cooler temps while camping on the gravel bars of the Current.

The Current is beautiful but still not as pretty as the Buffalo. IMO.
Parrot Head Paddler

bobberhex
Name: Robert

Post by bobberhex » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:50 pm

thanks , very good stuff to know

BahamaWoodstar
Name: David Caywood

Post by BahamaWoodstar » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:24 pm

Robert,
I live in Memphis and have been canoeing all my life and currently own a place in the spring river. That said I have never been on the Buffalo River. In late May, if the water levels are good, how high up could one reasonably put in and then how far down would I go before I would start to run into power boats? How many days would this take? Would I be able to camp anywhere as I did on the current River? Thanks for any guidance from you and/or anyone else.

Dave

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon May 02, 2016 8:46 am

Hi David. Sounds like the Buff may be a different critter from what you're accustomed to in at least one respect. The only power boats you'll see will be anglers with small outboards (10 HP max on the river), mostly in long skinny river boats, and while there are some times a few on the middle reaches most of them stick to the lower. There's no Missouri jet boat hatch on the Buffalo, but to your question you might start seeing one or two around Carver. As for camping, yes, any gravel bar you see is fair game, and while the highest put in (for the purpose of this conversation put in = outfitter serviced access) is Ponca the river gods have to love you for that to be a possibility. Also, if you're thinking weekend you'll have lots of company. The rest of your questions are way too subjective to be answered definitively so I'll give you this to help you sort it out. http://www.troop142bsa.org/buffalo_national_river.htm I'll also send you a very handy spreadsheet my friend Richard McFadden assembled. It's a dandy. One other thing to consider; the good flow we get in the Missouri Ozarks is not a forgone conclusion on the Buff. Lots of pools, so just factor that into your planning. Happy to help with more specific questions.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media