A note about Facebook - check there too!

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

A note about Facebook - check there too!

Post by Cowper » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:23 am

Times change. Recently, Club officers have noted that more and more trips are being planned over on the club's new Facebook Group, at https://www.facebook.com/groups/375435539319920/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a lot of pros and cons to being on Facebook, I'm not here to get into that discussion. I just wanted to share some information for those of you that are looking for trips to hook up with. In recent months, we've seen a number of short-notice trips organized by people posting on the Facebook group page, without a corresponding post on this message board.

My understanding is that you can browse anything on that page regardless of whether or not you are a member of the group. I think you can also browse it without signing up for a Facebook account, somebody who is NOT on Facebook, please try it and report back if that's not right.

It is likely that the Club will look for ways to get more people posting their trips on this page again, but no matter what we do, in a world of smart phone apps, some are going to choose to post on Facebook only. I would gently encourage new folks wanting to join others on trips to check both this forum AND the Facebook group I linked above, to see if there is anything going on you might want to join.

Happy Paddling!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: A note about Facebook - check there too!

Post by okieboater » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:21 am

Cowper,

I was a early adopter of Facebook. Later on decided Facebook was not for me.

I went to the link you posted and the first thing I got was a sign on to Facebook in order to continue.

If any one on the board knows how we can check the ACC Facebook page without joining Facebook, I would appreciate the information.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:30 am

Thanks for checking Dave. I know some people don't want to be on Facebook, but, the problem is that many people are moving their on-line presence there, and as they do that, some of them have stopped posting here because they like that platform better. I think there are lots of people who don't have time or inclination to keep up with the constant feed of information and advertisements that Facebook provides, others want to stay away of it because of the discussions which too often get into politics.

There may be even better answers, but I'm going to suggest that one option is to do what a few others have done: Sign up for Facebook, but then just don't enter any personal data (home city, place of work, birthday (or at least not your REAL birthday), etc.), and DON'T accept ANYONE as a friend. If you're consistent, nobody should be offended. Another option is to accept only those people you actually know as "friends", but then "unfollow" them.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:34 am

I had noticed the scramble to communicate during the last fall season.
I know nothing of Twitter but the concept maybe compatible with trip organization....
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:09 am

One problem with your advice, Cowper, is people that do that won't be admitted to various FB groups because they look like a spammer.
Bryan Signorelli

Social Media