Week of Rivers Prep Questions (Looking for Tips)

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

RobB
Name: Rob Bailey

Week of Rivers Prep Questions (Looking for Tips)

Post by RobB » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Newbie here with some questions about WOR 2015. I imagine others have questions they'd like answers too also, so everyone sound off.

1) My wife (not a paddler) will be coming, but wants to be able to stay cool. Are there COOL places around the campground for her to hang out in the shade, preferably next to moving water? Or is there such places close by? (I'll bring my sit-on-top LL Coupe for her to use and maybe we'll do some Class I-II together.)

2) I know the weather will be hot and humid, and I've heard the water is cool. What do you wear paddling? I.e., are wetsuits recommended? (We only have dry tops).

3) When we group in the morning for whatever run we want to do, are shuttles provided, or do we as a group figure it out with the vehicles we have?

4) What do you think are the best, closest, Class I, II, and III runs to do. I still have to read about what's there, but welcome your input if you've been before.

5) Depending on the run of course, do people do multiple runs in a day, or are they on the longer side where you do one a day?

6) What advice do you have for comfortable camping / eating / sleeping there at Smoky Mountain Meadow campground?

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Week of Rivers Prep Questions (Looking for Tips)

Post by okieboater » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Be prepared for one of the best organized club operations for area boating you will ever see.

Eat breakfast, have gear ready, go to the morning meeting, decide where you want to go and hook up with the leader. This is not a professional all things included guided trip, the leader will get you to the right take out and put in, group decides shuttle, you are responsible for your own safety so pick runs within your skill set. Have said previous info this will be a great group of friendly people to paddle with. Guaranteed to make long time paddle buds. The daily board will have all area runs with conditions and generally good class ratings. If in doubt ask some one for more info and describe what you are looking for. there will be used gear for sale.

As mentioned this is a class operation for sure.

If you do not know what to run, run some or all sections of the Nanty. From mild to kinda wild stuff ask NOC for help on sections to run. You can easily run laps at the falls long as you want. Regardless of what you might hear, the Falls is still a neat drop and you can make the run easier or harder, it is one heck of a great place to up your skill set on a nice rapid.

Too many runs around the area for me to list. Just check the monster board under the big top. Plenty of people there will be more than glad to tell you about the runs. Your choice, you can do a long run, multiple runs or take a day off. This is total boater choice and you do what you want to do or nothing at all. No pressure. I always pick an afternoon to go shop NOC, set on the porch and eat ice cream and watch the carnage at the falls. It has been said if you set on the outfitter store for any length of time, you will see multiple friends drive by ones you have not seen in a long time. I have found this to be true. I cannot give an opinion on food there at the riverside. Being a old timer at NOC back when some of the originals were cooking and serving, I have not been impressed with it the last time I was there. Maybe it is better now. Up the hill Relias Garden is normally pretty good. Sandwiches across the bridge are ok as well.

If you are gear shopping Endless rivers is a few miles upriver and is worth the time to visit and look. Another awesome bunch of boaters and fun people.

There is a creek on the smoky Meadows Camp property but access may be limited due to camp sites backing up on it. There is a pavilion and plenty of shade.

Bryson City is a few miles away. Plenty of shopping, tourist stuff and good eats. NOC also a few miles away with all it has to offer both paddlers and non paddlers. Check with the byson city chamber of commerce for even more stuff to do. several beautiful drives around Bryson City, just ask.

Camp ground has clean showers and clothes washing facilities. It will be very quiet while the boaters are off. Take your shower early or late as the returning boaters will have a line. But it does move pretty fast.

I have done this deal a number of times and always had max fun.

Take mt bike for Tsali Park Mt bike trails as they are good.

Water on the Nanty will be icey no matter what the air is. Be prepared. Other area runs will be cool but not Nanty Cold. Ask the trip leader and have a dry top, light fleece etc just in case or a shorty for many runs.

Expect it to rain big time one or more afternoons. If you do not have a good tarp for cook table, buy one as it will be needed. Take some bug spray, normally not a problem but just in case. It will be damp. Do not expect paddle gear to dry totally unless you get lucky on direct sun or use the camp dryer.

Be careful driving the main highway around the camp area and Bryson City. that long hill down to the camp entrance is known to have local cops there who will politely give you a speeding ticket. Obey the speed limit. Also some of the little towns like franklin and around the Ocoee will be looking for speeders.

For camping I like a big tent with all mesh. Open it up normally but close it up for the showers. Take a blanket and a sheet. Normally I find a sheet is just fine, but it can get cold at night and a light blanket is perfect. One of my best ever camps was a big tarp deal that had roll down mesh sides. Could cook and sleep inside the mesh and enjoy the breeze thru the night but pull down the sides during cloudbursts. I would not recommend a real tight cramped tent. If wife is along you need room and cots are a great thing to keep comfy.

This is a real hoot event and looking forward to hearing your experiences.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Jetlab67
Name: Paul

Post by Jetlab67 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks Dave for the info and your perspective! I'm also going over for the last 3-days and it will be my first time too.
Paul
Paul Smith

Getting lost is never a waste of time - Jack Johnson

RobB

Post by RobB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks for the really helpful response Dave. Looking forward to it!

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:01 am

Glad to help on the tips.

A couple more items.

There will be a fairly large group of ACC Dustbowlers at Week of Rivers. Most of them are veteran participants. The group includes a couple of past chapter presidents. A good source of on site information.

My long time friend and paddle bud, David Luinstra should be there. David retired to the area years ago and knows most every run hands down. David paddles every month of the year multiple times. Don"t want to put David on the spot, but he is known through out that area as Mr Kayaker and ambassador of good will. David is known for his teaching ability and if he leads a trip in your skill level, do not miss out.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:02 pm

A large group from the Northwest Chapter will be there. We've got the big red barn reserved which makes it easy to find us. I don't think that we have extra camping room, but our common area is a large (all day) shady spot right next to the creek. Drop on by and say hello or hang out there in the afternoon.

Last year was my first and only time to WOR. Based on it, I don't think you will find a shady spot to camp. Can't remember which day it was last year but people were standing in line at 5am to reserve their spot for the next year. Overflow camping is in a large, open field.

I don't know how someone could not enjoy the NOC. There is always live music, food, and drinks. There is a world class wave, with professionals tearing it up, or you can hang at the falls and watch the carnage. There are many options to enjoy a day (or week) by the Nantahala.

The Appalachian Trail goes right through the NOC, and the Bartram Trail goes right through the Beechertown put in on the Nantahala. I would argue that the area has some of the best hiking in the nation.

Asheville is only 1.5 hours away and is well worth a visit for shopping, eating, or craft beers.

Enjoy,
kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

RobB

Post by RobB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks Kristian. Hopefully there will be a spot for us by the barn. We won't get there till Thursday afternoon. Is there going to be plenty of room for another big tent and awning in the section for the NW Chapter?

kru1

Post by kru1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 pm

Hey Rob,

I don't know everyone's schedule. If it is anything like last year I am sure there will be plenty of space. Terry (the owner) said he would give us the other side of the creek in his yard if we needed it.

6 of us are leaving Friday the 3rd so that should clear some space.

kru

RobB

Post by RobB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Ok, great. I take it we'll be able to drive our trucks up next to where we pitch camp?

kru1

Post by kru1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:39 pm

Yes, or pretty damn close.

kru

WPC
Name: Diane

Post by WPC » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:33 am

Would a novice paddler have several options for class 1 rivers or is it primarily 2+?

okieboater

Post by okieboater » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:54 am

Several easy runs in the area. Ask any of the Week of Rivers members or at the tent meeting spot.

Nanty has easier sections, just ask. Novices might be a bit concerned to run the falls based on watching the carnage factor there, but there is a easy take out on river right above the falls.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

Social Media