Happy New Year Red Hot Cider Float 1/1/2015

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join
DeBo

Happy New Year Red Hot Cider Float 1/1/2015

Post by DeBo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:04 am

Join us for the traditional bringing in of the New Year with a trip down the Little Maumelle River just west of Little Rock. We will meet at 11AM Thursday morning at Pinnacle Mountain State Park by the boat ramp at the West Side parking lot where we will unload and run shuttle. The trip is about four miles long and the take out is at the private boat ramp just downstream of Pinnacle Valley Road. We will stop along the way to heat up the cider and eat lunch, so pack some sandwiches and anything else that you want or want to share. Looking forward to a great trip! :kayak:
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Re: Happy New Year Red Hot Cider Float 1/1/2015

Post by fryingsquirrel » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Sign me up, I think this will be the 3rd or 4th New Years Float I've attended. Thanks, Debo!
Jon Ellwood
Little Rock
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:11 pm

See you there!
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:30 am

Rumor has it Wes Holden and Chris Crawford will reprise the Canoe Jousting tourney! :box:
You come too.
Robert Frost

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:15 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath. My mere presence should be enough.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Shark Attack

Post by Shark Attack » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 pm

He couldn't catch me if I were paddling a flat raft! I'll have my shark back up
Wes

lalyle

Post by lalyle » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:02 pm

Thia and I plan to be there.

My son woke me up after midnight last night to ask to borrow my kayak today. When I actually talked to him today, he revealed that he and a buddy who got a fishing kayak for Christmas were planning to get on the Cadron today. I quickly nixed loaning him the boat for the day and gave him a talk about whitewater paddling in an open cockpit without cold weather gear. I'll invite him to join us for a good winter paddling training run on New Year's Day.

LauraWeems
Name: Laura

Post by LauraWeems » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:42 pm

Scott and I will be there too. We will bring some brownies to go with the cider. - Laura

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:59 am

Layle, you're such a party pooper! You should have just gone with him and taken an extra bag of clothes!

A few folks have asked for some additional information about the float, so I've tried to come up with some answers for what I think would be the most frequently asked questions. It took more thought that I expected, once I realized that the "audience" might range from those that are taking their new Christmas present boat out for it's first taste of water, to those who have to decide whether to bring the racing canoe or the whitewater model, 'cause they have both. Anyway, with that said, here goes:

WHERE:
N34.83865 W92.4912 Meeting Place and Put In, Pinnacle State Park Boat Ramp
N34.82768 W92.47124 Lunch Spot
N34.8148 W92.4404 Take Out (or enter 15401 Burnett Rd, Little Rock, AR 72223 into your car GPS)

SHUTTLE PLANS (How will I get back to my car?)
The shuttle Is about 6.5 miles one way, all paved roads, and takes a total of only 30 minutes. We will just meet at the put in and chose some cars that can hold multiple passengers to run to the take out. If you are running late, don’t worry, just go to the put in and we will get you back at the end of the day. If you are coming from farther away, please get there on time, and let us know that you need to leave from the take out. This way we will make sure that your car is at the take out, and will not count on you for a ride back to the top. This lets you get on the road to home much faster!

BOAT CHOICES
Here are a few considerations for those of you who have more than one boat to choose from: We always have a variety of boat types, so whatever you bring will be fine. We’ve done this trip in canoes, kayaks, and even small jon boats. The group will generally move at a pace that is still comfortable for the slowest boat. There are three shoals where we sometimes have to wade the boats for about 20 feet, but most days you can scoot over all three without getting out of the boat. In one or two places there is moving water with overhanging limbs, so it is not impossible to get wet, but it is rare. A bigger hazard is an occasional cypress knee; if you are moving along at a good pace and hit one that is just under the surface of the water, the sudden tipping motion can catch you off guard. If you have a high dollar, carbon fiber racing boat, I probably wouldn’t bring that, first because of those cypress knees but also because paddling that craft at the speed of the slowest touring kayak might make you crazy. I also wouldn’t go with an inflatable canoe or kayak, if I had a “hard boat” available. The inflatables would tend to be very slow for the last 3 miles where we are on more or less open flat water.

WHAT TO WEAR
Dress warm. I’ve worn everything from typical river wear (drysuit, wetsuit, etc) to duck hunting wear (chest waders) to just outdoor hiking gear (even blue jeans). If you are NOT wearing gear that is typical for rivers (polypro, wetsuits, drysuits) then you should bring a change of dry clothes in a waterproof bag. If you don’t own a waterproof bag, find Cowper or Debbie at the put in and we will loan you one. You would survive a dunking without the extra clothes, but you would be miserable.

WEATHER
This will change, but as of 12/29 the forecast is for cloudy with a high of 41 degrees. That’s why the Red Hot cider is so appreciated at lunch time!

LENGTH OF TIME ON WATER
We’re meeting at 11; so expect to be on the water by the crack of noon. Given the cool weather, I’m guessing we will move at a better than average pace, so we probably be on the water until about 3:30 even with a lunch stop. Anyone who has places to be could probably make better time after the lunch stop and get off the water 30 to 45 minutes sooner, but again, if this is your plan please make sure your car is one of those at the take out and that others are not counting on you for a ride back to the put-in. We always try to be sure that those with longer drives have this option.

LUNCH
Food is “bring your own”. Debbie will have all the makings for some Red Hot cider, but you may want to something else to drink as well. I see one person is already bringing brownies, that's great! We're not asking that everyone turn this into a pot-luck, but if you have a favorite cookie recipe and want to share, rest assured nobody is going to turn their noses up!

BOAT RAMP FEE
The boat ramp where we will take out is privately owned. The owner has a drop box and requests $5 per boat. With canoes and kayaks, he has made it fairly obvious that this is not rigorously enforced, if you show up with 4 kayaks on the roof he doesn't necessarily expect to get $20 from you and only $5 from that bass boat with the big trailer and 4 fishermen. I like the guy and appreciate use of the ramp so I keep it simple and go with $5 per boat, but if you're a family of 5, it shouldn't cost you more than feeding your family at Taco Bell so just throw in whatever donation you feel right about. He knows we pick up trash and appreciates that, so just put your offspring on a mission to pick up everything at the take out and call it good! Some years we just take up a collection in the parking lot and then hand him a wad of cash; nobody is counting boats (except for trip report purposes).

Hope to see folks there!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Chicago Bob
Name: Bob Tyler

Post by Chicago Bob » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Cowper, I have a question that has yet to be answered. What if Richland is running? It's rhetorical because I remember the year when it did. Where were you? BOB

Miss Ellie

Post by Miss Ellie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:18 am

I will try to make it. Not 100% sure yet.
Miss Ellie

lalyle

Post by lalyle » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Party pooper? That's me! Yep, Thia and I have decided to stay dry and warm. My initial response was made on a day when it was about 55 or 60 degrees. Tomorrow's forecast doesn't meet my "minimum of 50 degrees and sunshine" criteria and Thia seems quite pleased with my decision. Haven't heard a word from my kid, either.

Yikes! That reminds me; I don't even have a 3rd paddle for a 3rd paddler after I lost that splash fight with Thia in the middle of Lake DeGray a couple of months ago. :box: My paddle broke plum in two. :oops: No more $29 paddles for this guy!

Y'all have fun and we'll catch up when it warms up.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:11 pm

See you there, Debo!
Bryan Signorelli

DeBo

Post by DeBo » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Yes, the forecast for tomorrow looks just horrendous, but part if the tradition of the New Year's float is that it is on no matter what. If there is one person who can make it to the put in to paddle, it is on. I expect that the awful weather will keep a lot of people away and that's ok and I certainly understand. I wouldn't mind being snuggled up in a warm blanket on the couch myself, but I have chosen to take this job and I will see it through. Those brave (or insane) enough to take this trip with us will have a great time and will feel superior for hours! It will be an adventure. See you there!

jwcava
Name: jwcava

Post by jwcava » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:37 pm

Sorry to say, too miserable for me also. Just don't have gear to deal with it. Looked forward to meeting and getting to know more members, but will catch the 31 January Wattensaw trip. You tough ones that are going, be careful and watch out for hypothermia. Jerry Cavaneau

Social Media