3rd Annual Black Friday Trash Float - 11/28/14 TRIP REPORT

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join
Cowper
Name: Cowper C

3rd Annual Black Friday Trash Float - 11/28/14 TRIP REPORT

Post by Cowper » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:33 am

UPDATED - SKIP TO LAST POSTS (~11/27) FOR FINALIZED TRIP PLANS
SKIP TO POST ON 11/28 FOR TRIP REPORT AND LINK TO FB PHOTOS

This is a preliminary announcement, and to some degree a "call for nominations" (even though I think we have a front-runner). Meeting places and times will be finalized about the second week of November.

A brief history of our "Black Friday" floats:

For the 1st float, our "target" was a power boat found abandoned on the Saline River, just downstream the Lyle Park access in Benton. A group of about 10 of us were able to pull it onto the gravel bar to drain it, install a boat plug, bilge pump, and trolling motor, and took it downstream to the I-30 access where it was removed and hauled to the Saline County landfill. A number of tires, including at least one huge tractor tire, were also pulled out of the river.

For the 2nd float, we hit the Caddo River heading downstream from Glenwood. Many tires were recovered, but the reason we had selected this stretch of river is because Chicago Bob's canoe and custom kayak paddle had been stolen there a week or two before, and we wanted to search for it on the off chance that it had been paddled downstream and hidden where we might see it. We never would have found it, but Wes Holden arrived early and talked to a local outfitter, who had heard "rumors" of a boat hidden in the woods near the access point. He also learned local law enforcement was taking the theft seriously, because he got grilled when he showed up in town with a boat that they thought "met the description" of the one they had been looking for. So although many tires were recovered in our downriver float, the real highlight of the 2nd annual float was that before it even started, Michael S and I, acting on Wes' tip, stomped around in the woods near put-in and FOUND THE BOAT, paddle and PFD hidden about 100 yards from the river.

For the 3rd float, I was originally thinking about another power boat removal, this one scuttled in Fourche Creek (a future water trail in Little Rock). We expected this one to be far more difficult than the first, because it was sunk deeper, likely stuck in the mud, and we had no idea if it would float again or need to be carried out either on large floats or after having been cut into smaller pieces. Given the unknowns, scouting missions to see what we were up against were needed. To make a long story short, our "scouting mission" quickly evolved into a "just do it" mentality, and that boat is no longer available for Black Friday. That story here: http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/vie ... 19&t=26716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SO, the leading idea for our 3rd annual float now is to test a new tool for trash recovery:
Satellite reconnaissance!
Jason the Bold informed me that he had been removing tires from our precious Buffalo National River, but after filling his canoe had to simply mark some larger tractor-trailer tires for future retrieval. After he shared the gps location with me, I found I could see at least two of the tires on Google Earth. Bryan SIgnorelli did some further study of images, and has marked a number of locations along the Buffalo that most likely are additional tires, several located within one 5 mile section. So this is now our "most likely" float for Black Friday, the Buffalo River above Woolum. Logistics will be worked out in early November, when we see what the likely water levels are. If it is very low, we might do an "in-and-out" float from the nearest access point; if levels are decent then we will to a traditional "Point A to point B" float.

If you wish to "nominate" other potential "targets" for our Black Friday float, here are some of the totally unofficial criteria that would move a nomination higher on the list:

1) Size / difficulty - we want to get stuff others might pass by as "too big", or that benefits from a "team" effort. You can't find a powerboat every day, but things like larger tractor tires, water heaters, large items washed into the river by floods, etc would all score higher. But it also needs to be "achievable" with tools we already own - I'm not looking to buy a cutting torch and go after scuttled barges on the Arkansas, for example.

2) Location - closer to Central Arkansas, or situated between Central and some of our other chapters, making it easier for more folks to join the fun. Folks are still recovering from the turkey, so we don't want to add 8 hours of driving to the day if we can avoid it.

3) Location - is it a commonly floated stream? Bonus points if it is a stretch of river that people commonly like to float, or is part of a current or planned future water trail.

Mark your calendars, reserve the day, and let us know if you have a "super target" you'd like to nominate for removal from your favorite river!
Last edited by Cowper on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

maggiepowell
Name: Maggie

Re: 3rd Annual Black Friday Trash Float - Nov 28, 2014

Post by maggiepowell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:09 am

Can't wait. What a great Thanksgiving tradition!

lalyle

Post by lalyle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:02 pm

I'd like to get in on that. I'll be hanging out with Thia at Fairfield Bay for a few days leading up to that day. How's the Little Red through and near Clinton looking? Is the bank restoration project complete? Is there debris there?

Chicago Bob
Name: Bob Tyler

Post by Chicago Bob » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Cowper, you know I've been a part of this since its inception and wouldn't miss this years adventure. Who knows what remarkable things we will recover this year. But nothing can top getting my canoe back last year, thanks to you and Mike. BOB

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:39 am

I'm sure that these won't get put on the consideration list, but they can make the wish list.

Chicken coops on the Kings. http://goo.gl/maps/1qQxt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see the silver rectangle downstream on the inside bend. You can also see another one about a mile downstream on river left under the overhanging tree. http://goo.gl/maps/63FnD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are probably about 6 or so, but can't see them all with Gmaps. They have been there for as long as I remember (over 10 years). They are full of gravel and probably weigh a ton. They are on the popular Marble to Marshall Ford section, arguably the most scenic section. Access is an issue as there is one mandatory portage over Sapper Ford about a mile above the take out.

I will be out of town over the holidays so I can't lead a group from the Northwest. Maybe others may want to?

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:36 pm

Hmmm... Is Kru throwing down a gauntlet? Claiming it can't be done in the hopes that an intrepid crew comes together?
Bryan Signorelli

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:55 pm

If that's all it would take to get you " hard core trash pickers " on the Kings..........consider the glove on the ground, boys. I'll sure try to help. -M- :thumbup:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Those chicken coops are so embedded, I've always pictured having to torch them apart or talk the respective adjacent farmer to bring his tractor and chains over to pull them out of the banks. They'll take quite the rigging for manually moving them. And instead of hauling them on boats down to the lovely concrete ford, maybe the landowners will allow us land access. But, the challenge to do it unassisted from land is pretty attractive.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

kru1

Post by kru1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

Thought the same thing Curtis.

It would almost have to take landowner cooperation or at least permission to access the river/coops.

That section is an 11 mile float, with that damn portage. Maybe it would be better to take that low water bridge out with some explosives first (why I call it Sapper Ford). Another thing is that about the only time I float that section is when the Ponca section is going on the Buffalo, i.e. good flow. The Ponca gauge is a lot better for the Marble section then the Kings River gauge.

If y'all can get those out and I map the Kings, I will have to change the name from Coop Bluff to Cowper Bluff.

kru

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:57 pm

What about a few cordless sawzalls. And a sh** load of charged batteries? I use them every day, and they can do wonders on any demo job.-M- :grin:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Landowner access is an important tool. As are saws and other forms of mechanical advantage.

I know nothing about floating that stream but it looks beautiful.
Bryan Signorelli

kru1

Post by kru1 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:10 pm

sig wrote:Landowner access is an important tool. As are saws and other forms of mechanical advantage.

I know nothing about floating that stream but it looks beautiful.
Don't want to tell anybody about the Kings, the river sucks. Nothing to see here, just move on. All it is are chicken coops and mandatory portages.

kru

cpresoz

Post by cpresoz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Kings River.jpg
Here's one of the crappy spots on that section.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

cpresoz

Post by cpresoz » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Kings River Ford.jpg
And that godawful portage. I still can't believe this was allowed. It prohibits any fish moving upstream. All for some arrogant landowner wanting easier access to his trophy home in the boonies.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:43 pm

Definitely, no awesome smallmouth to catch.-M- :shh:

Social Media