3rd Annual Black Friday Trash Float - 11/28/14 TRIP REPORT

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join
Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: 3rd Annual Black Friday Trash Float - Nov 28, 2014

Post by Deuce » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:20 am

IMO removal of the chicken coops (not to be confused with the Luke Coops) is not a feasible Black Friday endeavor. The drive is too far for a day trip and the logistics involved mandate lengthy immersion of TRT personnel regardless of how the targets are approached. However, it does sound like a land based assault would be the best approach and assuming that approach were taken low water and warm air temps would actually be advantageous. Kristian, Mike et al, has anyone reached out to Ernie to ask if he knows who owns the land and whether they might be amenable to at least granting access? If we can get something together for next summer I'll guarantee participation from Central.
You come too.
Robert Frost

cpresoz
Name: Curtis Presley

Post by cpresoz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 am

That'll give us time for us locals to scout out the avenues and chatting with Ernie and his guys. And to collect the necessary munitions to take out the bridge.
Curtis Presley
cpresoz@yahoo.com
479-685-3557
Fayetteville, AR

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:36 am

LOL. It'll also give us time to save up bail money.
You come too.
Robert Frost

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:12 am

When the time comes, I can provide a generator nada sawzall or two.
Jon Ellwood
Little Rock
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Those chicken coops have been on the far edges of my radar screen ever since I heard about them a year or two ago at that float that was sponsored by the Nature Conservancy. I'd like to change that and move them into the cross-hairs.

I agree with everything that has already been said.

This is too big a project and not located well for our "mostly Central" Black Friday float, but...

We need some more intel from those who live closer - especially contact with the landowner for cooperation if possible. We don't want to create landowner conflict by removing the coops without talking to him/her only to learn that the landowner considered them to be great fish habitat, and then get into that whole "property owner owns the streambed" argument. If you can find an overland access point, Jon may be able to bring in "secret weapons" that have not yet been discussed. (Not because they would be illegal, only because it would not be right for me to steal his thunder, and I also want to avoid the situation of promising a real show and then having to use a simple "brute force - 10 boy scouts" methodology instead.)

A photo would be great, if someone has or can obtain one to post. DId I miss it, how many coops are we talking about?

If NW chapter wants to do their own Black Friday float, I'd welcome that too. No reason it can't grow to become multiple events around the state.

Maybe the Nature Conservancy contact already has good relations with local landowners. Anyway, please keep me and/or all of us updated on anything you learn, lets make this happen in the next few months!
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

YarTheBug
Name: Jason Robison

Post by YarTheBug » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:40 pm

I should be up for the Buffalo.

If for some reason I don't, I'll point out a location named Grocery Beach. It's river right downstream from Skull Bluff. I found *unopened* a bag of chips, 2 beers, a travel size french's yellow mustard, and some off-brand bacon bits.

There was plenty more tasty jetsom I couldn't get due to inadequate litter-bag (and ice-chest) capacity.

- Jason

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:34 pm

What did ya'lls decision on a final destination end up being? Thanks-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

fryingsquirrel
Name: Jon Ellwood

Post by fryingsquirrel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:24 am

The paddling world anxiously awaits a destination for Friday, what's our target?
Jon Ellwood
Little Rock
"Life is a question asked by nature and answered by death. You are a different kind of question with a different kind of answer." -Helios

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:09 pm

OK, time to finalize. Water levels have driven much of the decision-making process. As much as I want to get those tires out of the Buffalo (and we WILL), it doesn't add up as a good choice for tomorrow. Levels are VERY low, it would be 6 hours of driving for those from the LR area, plus 2 hours of shuttle driving. I considered Fourche Creek, but it is also very low, so I think it is better saved for another day. After checking with a couple of folks who are for sure going, here's the plan:

PLACE: Pinnacle Mountain State Park Water Trail
MEET AT: Little Maumelle Boat ramp N34.83866 W92.49123
DATE: 11/28/2014
TIME: 10 AM, CST
LOGISTICS: Meet at put in, run a few cars to private boat ramp just off Pinnacle Springs road on Burnett Road
BRING: Your boat and gear of choice, but also consider gloves, trash grabber if you have one, Lunch or snack, etc.
(I'll probably have a shovel and a few other specialized tools just in case.)

Trip distance is ~5 miles; more if we go upstream in a couple of tributaries and criss-cross the wider places for trash hunting. I'll probably "cheat" and have a trolling motor or more so that we can off-load trash from smaller boats and move faster through pools to maximize our take while still allowing folks plenty of time to meet evening commitments.

SEE YOU THERE!

Cowper

Post by Cowper » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:05 am

TRIP REPORT:

3rd Annual Black Friday Float - went out expecting a light haul, came back with more than we expected. Picnic table, piece of a large water tank, large wheeled trash can, small TV dish, 2 mail boxes, tire, motorcycle helmet , kiddy pool, goose decoy, basket ball hoop base, pickle bucket, lawn chair, several balls, at least 4 large 55 gallon trash bags of mixed litter, extension cord, and a wheel barrow (minus the wheel )

Other details:

The Group: Me, Debbie Doss, Jon Ellwood, Jim Krueger, "Chicago" Bob Tyler, Paul Smith, Jason "The Bold" Robison, Paul Smith.

Weather: 40's when we started, high 50's or low 60's by the time we finished.

Saw two duck hunters, maybe 3 fishermen, and two young men in a tandem kayak the whole day.

I'm extremely encouraged on the progress that has been made along this water trail. Over the past 3 years we've gone from piles of litter in every log jam, a portajon, multiple tires, just all kinds of stuff, to.... NOTHING. The section from Pinnacle down to where the river opens up and gets wider is essentially trash-free now; if those who go here pick up one or two pieces of trash each trip, it will remain that way. I got 2 (exactly two) pieces of litter right in Pinnacle park along the shore, then NOTHING for the first mile.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paddlegal
Name: paddlegal

Re: 3rd Annual Black Friday Trash Float - 11/28/14 TRIP REPO

Post by Paddlegal » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:36 am

You Da Man............men. Moose that boat looks G O O D! From Cowper's pics it looks like you would not have had room for me anyway.

My DIL let me keep the kids while she braved the shopping crowds and someone in the ToyRUs parking lot busted out the Honda's window and got a bunch of free Christmas gifts from the Graham family.

Tim (son) & John (friend) are getting replacement glass and fixing it themselves for $160. Homeowners is covering the toy loss and hopefully some little kid (and not a doper) is having a wonderful Christmas this year.

I'm trying to be forgiving and not angry :box: about them.

Padd <3
I've felt the touch of healing hands, neath the willow trees and birch, cause the water's my religion, and the river is my church. Kenny

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks for all ya'lls hard work. It's great to see its making a big difference. I like the idea of making it an annual chapter thing. I'll try to help make it happen up here next year. -M- :clap:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Connie,

I always have room for you! That chunk of rusty metal up front may have been the oldest piece of debris we picked up on the float. I'm still not sure what the heck it was, but it seemed like a 40gal. bucket-like-shaped vessel with an antique brass spigot in the base. At any rate, we just put it in the front of the boat as was since the footing was not so good where we found it, however at the take-out where we had more room to deal with it, two or three of us easily flattened it to briefcase-sized with no problem. I should have done that much earlier in the day so it didn't block my view forward. The river was a little lower than our past New Years floats, and I high-centered more vintage cypress stumps than I hoped for since I couldn't see as well :D I needed a navigator.
I'm very sorry to hear of the car break-in Connie. was this your car or your son's vehicle? Whatever the case, it's disgusting and I'm sorry.

Best Regards
Jim

Paddlegal
Name: paddlegal

Post by Paddlegal » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:23 pm

James it was Shannon's car. Thankfully Tim and John are real handy guys and I'm sure its fixed by now. Bad things happen to good people.

Looking forward to a rainy week!!
I've felt the touch of healing hands, neath the willow trees and birch, cause the water's my religion, and the river is my church. Kenny

magicmike

Post by magicmike » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:37 pm

Attachments
large.jpg

Social Media