Trip Report - GAF 2014

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Trip Report - GAF 2014

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:17 am

Every year, the last weekend of September brings the GAF to the Nantahala Gorge.

NOC sells off their demo boats, Manufacturers bring out the overstock, guides, instructors and boaters sell their used equipment. Most importantly, we get recreational releases of the Cascades (IV-V) and the Upper (III+) sections of the Nantahala river.

The ACC had a small group of paddlers from all across the state. On Friday, we warmed up on the lower Nantahala run from Ferbee's to the NOC outfitter store. (Warm is never an operative word for this icy-cold river) It is a classic eastern Class II run. On Saturday, we met for the huge group of boaters to ride the free shuttles, as parking is not allowed at the top of the run. We had several personal first descents of the upper nanty. Everyone did great and had a wonderful time on this continuous, 100fpm creek run. A few of us fired up the Cascades (not me). We had dinner at Wesser and returned to our (now regular) campsite at Smoky Mountain Meadows Campground. Yes… The ACC has a regular site there… So cool. On Sunday, we pulled into NOC to see Pat Keller, preparing to haul a small collection of Flying Squirrels to the put-in. We saluted Mr Keller and as always, he shot back the award winning Keller grin and said "see you up there!" Once we arrived at the upper nanty put-in, we chatted with Shane Benedict about the new boats and the JFK sticker that still inhabits one of the Squirrels from Ocoee Fest. Day two was awesome. Tracy and Shay got a bunch of great shots of us on the river, everybody tore it up. Only one swim… ME… :hammer2:

Sunday night, we stayed at our favorite secret campsite near the Ocoee. On Monday; yep… OCOEE time!!! We rushed to get to the river by 10am to find the water on almost an hour early. It was higher than usual and gave us all a great time. On the first lap, we saw only one private raft and maybe 5 kayakers (The solitude was a rare treat on this run) Some folks went back for a second lap. After another great day on the river, we had a celebratory dinner at the Gondolier and took a trip to the top of a mountain for one amazing overlook and one hell of a sunset.

I highly recommend GAF for anyone that is looking for a great Class III weekend.

:beer2:
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Re: Trip Report - GAF 2014

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:21 am

Uploading pics isn't working.

They're on FB.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 am

So much fun. This was a great trip and I would recommend the GAF trip any day of the week. Much less crowded than week of rivers (not as many rivers on the menu though), weather was incredible, got to talk to Pat Keller and mess around on the Nantahala falls with him while Pierce demoed a Flying Squirrel. My PFD of the upper Nanty. We had a mish mosh of people from all over, me coming from TX. Being the guy traveling from out of town I've been fortunate enough to paddle with ACC paddlers probably from every chapter, tagging along on trips, meeting at the Cossatot, etc. I can tell you that everyone in the ACC are great people. Every trip and every paddle I make new great friends and have the best time I've ever had. Cheers Tom for planning out this trip!

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Great report! So sorry I missed the trip.-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Social Media