First time to Fisher's Ford

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

lwe
Name: Wayne Ekdahl

First time to Fisher's Ford

Post by lwe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:28 am

Planning on being at the new park Thursday morning June 26, my first time to be there. Any advice would be appreciated. I know it is a week day, but if anyone wants to paddle with and show me the features, that would be welcomed. I will be in a red XP-9.
SYOTR
Wayne
“Most autumns, the water is low from the long dry summer,...but if you go to the river at all, you tend not to mind. You are not in a hurry there; you learned long since not to be.”
― John Graves, Goodbye to a River: A Narrative

magicmike
Name: Mike

Re: First time to Fisher's Ford

Post by magicmike » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:49 am

Wayne- After the rain yesterday, the ford is up to 3.82 this morning, which is pushing the high end of the fun. Once it gets close to 4 and over, the features wash out and loose a lot of their form as the water washes over all the rock work around them. They are calling for 30% chance of more rain Wednesday and Friday, and 60% for Thursday. Just a heads up.-M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

lwe
Name: Wayne Ekdahl

Post by lwe » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:27 am

Just my luck, we were trying to camp on the Mulberry but there is not enough water there. Thanks for the heads up.
“Most autumns, the water is low from the long dry summer,...but if you go to the river at all, you tend not to mind. You are not in a hurry there; you learned long since not to be.”
― John Graves, Goodbye to a River: A Narrative

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:21 am

No problem Wayne. I just looked, and the ford is 4.18 and rising. I've found it to be best between 2.5 and 3.7 or 3.8. If we don't get more rain, the trees will suck it up quickly. Keep an eye on the Guage. If it looks to be heading into that magic range. Come on up and get you some. You won't be sorry if you catch it at a good level. As far as folks to paddle with goes. Now that it's open, I have yet to be there at any time when there wasn't other boaters there. -M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 am

lwe wrote:Just my luck, we were trying to camp on the Mulberry but there is not enough water there. Thanks for the heads up.
Cross your fingers!! … No wait.. Just go to the Mulberry! It's at 1.9' on the turner bend gauge. Much fun to be had on the Big eddy to Campbell's cemetery section!

:kayak:
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

Charles1967
Name: Charles

Post by Charles1967 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:49 am

Yep, I was there about 30 minutes ago. City was bringing the toilets and trash cans back out after pulling last night at 7pm and closing park. Water about 2 inches over Spectator Island by the kiddie pool. Except for the 'brown' water, a beautiful site to behold. I'd go out there tonight if I had a spotter just to experience that level. Without supervision, I'd likely try my first "boof" and end up a new water feature. :fish:
Siloam Springs resident a few miles from the Ford. ccoletexas@gmail.com - Charles

ShayA
Name: Shay

Post by ShayA » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:09 pm

tomOzarkVideo wrote:
Cross your fingers!! … No wait.. Just go to the Mulberry! It's at 1.9' on the turner bend gauge. Much fun to be had on the Big eddy to Campbell's cemetery section!

:kayak:
Tom, Wayne and I were hoping for a late season Mulberry trip coming from Texas but 1.9 on the Turner Bend gauge is still lower than what it was at WW school. Originally we were hoping there would be enough rain to do Wolf Pen to Mill Creek and self support camping. We are going to hit Lower Little Mo on Friday. Come down and join us!

Social Media