Fisher's Ford Tuesday?

Organize your paddling trips here, or find out about upcoming trips you may want to join

Dustin
Name: Dustin Frank

Fisher's Ford Tuesday?

Post by Dustin » Thu May 15, 2014 5:44 pm

I am a new boater and new ACC member, and would like to head up to the SSWWP this weekend. I missed registration for WW school this year (plus I had finals), and will likely miss it for the next several years because of finals. Hooray for being a 38 year-old student again. I was wondering if anyone that isn't heading for a river run this weekend will be at Da Ford. If you're not, I don't blame you with the rain we just got :D Since I am new, I would prefer to run it with other boaters there, and I would like to start working on my roll. I am also open to paying for private lessons if any ACA Kayak instructors are interested. My current boat is a LL Remix XP9, and I have tandem/solo canoe experience from 20 years ago. I was very comfortable with the upper Buffalo at highish levels (say a foot of airspace ar Ponca) when last active. My swimming history is one canoe dump helping another boater and four bailouts my first time in my kayak :whistle: I am available Friday and Monday too.

EDIT: See post below.
Last edited by Dustin on Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magicmike
Name: Mike

Re: Fisher's Ford Saturday

Post by magicmike » Thu May 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Dustin- the ford pretty much washes out above 4 ft. With the rain they're calling for Friday night, it'll probably stay above 4 ft.all weekend. Might even stay above 4 without any more rain. -M-
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

Henry Gresham

Re: Fisher's Ford Saturday

Post by Henry Gresham » Thu May 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Dustin, I might be interested in joining you some day next week, but not this weekend. I've never paddled the ford before, and I'm definitely NOT an instructor. Like you, I'm looking to work on rolling and playing some of the waves there. If no instructor shows up, it would be the "blind leading the blind", but might be fun and safer than solo.

Dustin

Re: Fisher's Ford Tuesday/Wednesday?

Post by Dustin » Fri May 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Ok, I now know that levels will likely be too high, and with other activities planned for Saturday (West Fork Cleanup, Caddo, Big Piney), it looks like the Ford will be a no go for the weekend. I would love to make one of the other events, but I am lacking the requisite skills to feel comfortable running a river at higher water. I might try the West Fork cleanup, as that stretch seems reasonable. I still would like to try for early next week once the levels come down a little.

Dustin

Re: Fisher's Ford Tuesday?

Post by Dustin » Mon May 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I went out again yesterday, but the water was still a little too high to be much fun

Hcarr999
Name: Heath

Post by Hcarr999 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:35 am

Do you plan on being there today
Paddle or die!!!!

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Tue May 20, 2014 3:44 pm

No, the water level on Sunday wasn't much fun for me as I am still a newbie, ferries were difficult, too much flow for me to try much surfing, etc... I will try again when the levels are lower--possibly Saturday for the soft opening.
I am game for a river float with crew this week class I - II with enough heads up to take care of a few errands before the weekend.

Social Media