Scary swim through a fluffy level Falls

Post links to your paddling related videos here!
737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Re: Scary swim through a fluffy level Falls

Post by 737driver » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:37 pm

I went and ran the falls today at the low level to try and see what I did wrong. Yes, it was the curler and BMF. I've ran BMF the last ten times with no problem but it was the first time I have ran that line and I 1. Did not paddle aggressively 2. Took a stroke on the right when I should have reached left across the curler. 3. My roll just sucked a**. So today I realized that I didn't get the crap beat out of me because there were a ton of rock between my flip and the machine. I also took the roll advice and practice at rockport yesterday and rolled nearly 25 times with much better results. My philosophy is I will listen to any and all advice and later decide if I'll use it. I also believe that if at first you fail, try and try again until you succeed or at least make your failures look good by adding some techno music to it.
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Clay,
You are a very wise boater!
and, a good roll model for the rest of us.

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

justanovice
Name: Sandy

Post by justanovice » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:39 pm

So,since everyone seems to have the answer to a roll and willing to give advice, what's the secret? I have worked on my roll on three different summers and I can't get it. Cowper has graciously helped as well as Luke Woodruff. I feel so close, but then it rolls back over on me. I paddle a LL XP 9 which a lot of people say is tough to roll, but I see others do it. Is there some advice out there on how to make my head stay down? Luke says that's my biggest problem. I can't seem to fluidly come up. It's all jerky and unsuccessful.
Sandy
Sandy S.

Hcarr999
Name: Heath

Post by Hcarr999 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Keep your eyes on the liquid logic on the side of your boat.
Paddle or die!!!!

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Post by Twindad » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:42 pm

I guess the hijacking of this thread is now complete!

Sandy,

Have you rolled up at least once?
Is there some physical limitation?
Have you worked on your hip flip at the side of a pool?
Are you learning to roll in order to run whitewater?
Are you scared of being immersed, upside down, trapped in the kayak, or hitting your head?
Have you been to the UALR pool rolling sessions?
Have you watched rolling videos?
If you are female, have you tried getting a woman to help you?

Answers to some of these questions might get you some specific help.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:46 pm

The two things that I have seen hamper many a student's roll is head up way way too soon and not sweeping the paddle out IE pulling down on the paddle not sweeping it out.

If all else fails on keeping head down, during your setup bite your PFD shoulder strap and don't let loose till you complete the roll or you fail the roll attempt and have to swim out

Next practice on the ground doing your roll movements and sweep that paddle out to the side and all the way back as far as your shoulder allows = do not hurt yourself a proper roll does not hurt. Groove the movement then move to the water with a Instructor or trusted bud can get you to roll into the sweep position, support you with one hand while guiding the paddle sweep. I have also as a last resort taped foam to the sweeping paddle blade this is a last resort cause people who have not developed that outward sweep will just pull down on the now buoyant foam helped paddle and get worse habits.

Keeping the head down and doing the proper sweep will almost guarantee you do a decent hip snap or butt cheek weight transfer and that is what rolls your kayak not necessarily the paddle altho the proper paddle sweep helps the hips work.

Having some one watch you practice even tho they are not kayakers can help spot head down and pulling down the paddle. Back in the dark ages my very patient wife coached me quite a bit in the lake below the Nanty.

[
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:10 am

Two bits that really helped me:

Nose plugs. Water up the nose will be one less thing to worry about and will allow you to focus on the steps to rolling up. A good initial setup will improve the chances you hit your first roll attempt.

I try to think of the hip snap more as pulling the boat under me vs. flipping myself up over it.

Don't give up you'll get it!
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

hilbili
Name: jeff benefield

Post by hilbili » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:10 am

I saw somebody doing it in reverse. leaned back, reached out into a brace position with head in the water then slowly stacked back up to sitting position. sorta like yoga in a boat. practicing everything after the hip snap, basicly breaking it down. practiced hip snap at the side of the pool.

out of hundreds of videos on utube, a couple stand out as unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HPKSF3mods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeOL0MkuqBo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOUGaBIlF70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tell'em Goober says "hey"!

justanovice
Name: Sandy

Post by justanovice » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:58 am

Yes, I've been to UALR several times. No physical limitations, but I am still uncomfortable upside down in water. Trying to get past that. I usually practice my hip snaps for 20 minutes or so before actually practicing the roll. Yes, I'm female. I've watched several videos and then attempt to mimic those routines in my living room to try and build muscle memory. I'm welcoming any advice bc I'm getting frustrated which isn't helping me either. I'll definitely try the "looking at my LL label". I can see where that might help my head stay down.
Sandy
Sandy S.

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Post by Twindad » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:27 pm

I suspect that "I can't breathe" kicks in as soon as you're upside-down. This will defeat your attempts to remember and perform the rolling steps you've memorized. All you really want to do is get your head above water.

I would buy a mask and a snorkel and go to a pool and get really comfortable under water. Then use the snorkel without the mask. Use the mask without the snorkel. Then lose both and see how long you can hold your breath.

I forgot to ask whether you open your eyes when you're rolling.

Chrissy
Name: Chrissy Dennis

Post by Chrissy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:36 am

I'm fairly new to the message board, and I realize that I'm not posting about the original topic...sorry! But, I wanted to respond to Sandy's roll message. I'm not sure where you're located, but I would recommend Adam McCrory and/or Tom Burroughs in NWA as roll instructors. Adam taught me, but I've heard very good things about Tom, as well.

I've rec paddled for many years, but I just got my WW boat (Jackson 2Fun) in June. I now have a pretty good flat water roll, and am working on my combat roll (have nailed maybe a dozen or so of those). I have not been to a pool session, but I practice at SSWWP (The Ford). Hope this helped a little.

- Chrissy
- Chrissy Dennis

Social Media