It was fun while it lasted

Post links to your paddling related videos here!

LARAMY
Name: LARAMY

It was fun while it lasted

Post by LARAMY » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:02 pm

https://vimeo.com/blog/post:626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently Vimeo rolled out new software on 5/21/14 which will prevent you from adding music to your video's. It's unclear if they're gonna pull old stuff off but you're definitely not gonna get a new one up. Took about a minute for mine from Saturday to get booted off due to music added.

:thumbdown:

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Re: It was fun while it lasted

Post by we66erno1 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Check out beatspick.com. I was able to license this song for about a $1.50. They email you a legit license and everything.

http://www.beatpick.com/license/license ... 726904f1e7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:05 am

Vimeo has a service (Music Store) that helps you purchase a license for music for personal use. Cost seems to be Free or $1.99.

We've been using this service for a few years now and the vast majority of the videos we've posted have been with licensed videos.

Just remember the license is good for one project/video, you need to give credit sometimes, and in the case of many of the free licenses you may need to change your copyright to one of the "share alike" types.
Bryan Signorelli

LARAMY

Post by LARAMY » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks for the music sites. Beatpick was new to me but I had browsed Vimeo's music store before. My only issue with both of them is I couldn't find any music that I had ever heard of before and searching for new stuff the way those sites are laid out is time consuming. Definitely a lot more hassle than knowing what you want and buying it from iTunes. I think it was an unfortunate move on Vimeo's part but they have to keep from getting sued like everyone else.

I'm doing some emailing back and forth with them over the huge grey area of "fair use". SoundCloud may have some viable options as well to add to the other sites mentioned.

sig
Name: Bryan

Post by sig » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Good luck with that... there isn't any fair use in taking someone's music and putting it on your video.

You haven't heard of the music on those websites because you are licensing them for $2. Cough up $10k or more and you can probably start licensing whatever you hear on the radio :)
Bryan Signorelli

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:11 am

I only use licensed music for my videos. Or I'll use local music with permission. Pro tip.

:myday" is it fair that Skrillex makes a video substantially more worthwhile with no compensation whatsoever?

As a musician, I'm glad to give up my tracks for the exposure. But record companies don't feel the same way.

Ah, the pains of working in media.. Have fun out there. :ROFL: :wave:

Sincerely, Amateur Hack with a Borrowed Camera Productions.
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

James
Name: james

Post by James » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:18 am

Most of the people I know mute the music anyway. Every time I start watching a kayaking video and my wife is around, she tells me she can recognize it as a kayaking video by the crappy music. :ROFL:

tomOzarkVideo
Name: Tom McFetridge

Post by tomOzarkVideo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:28 am

James wrote:Most of the people I know mute the music anyway. Every time I start watching a kayaking video and my wife is around, she tells me she can recognize it as a kayaking video by the crappy music. :ROFL:
The same 6 dubstep songs. :clap:
"My favorite rapid was Boogie Water" - kru

perspective7
Name: Seth

Post by perspective7 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Yeah, most of their music sucks and I can spend hours looking for something that I can even stand to listen to...So now there will be a lot of good videos with crap music...joy! :eh:

LARAMY

Post by LARAMY » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Seth,

I've found SoundCloud to be the most useful. You can advance filter search options to find music "for commercial use". I've went this route for my last two videos and haven't had any issue with Vimeo for doing so. It takes some digging but there is some decent stuff in there from people you've more than likely heard of.

Canoe_Codger
Name: Michael

Post by Canoe_Codger » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:47 pm

I don't record or post videos but... I most certainly watch the ones you folks post. Usually though I open a second window on my computer to provide my own soundtrack. Quite a mix of music. Everything fro mJimmy Driftwood to Robert Plant and Pink Floyd. Classics too like Ride Of The Valkaries (if you don't recognize the name, the theme from Apocolypse Now). Oh... try one while listening to the Goat Rodeo Sessions like "Here and Heaven" performed by Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer, Aoife O'Donovan & Chris Thile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVrCZ5sNwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, I know you can't add this music to your videos, but it is my workaround to listening to the tunes that are available and anoying to me.

Michael

Social Media