Getting Twerked

Post links to your paddling related videos here!

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Getting Twerked

Post by 737driver » Tue May 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Just a little fun at Dierks today.
https://vimeo.com/95926818" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

Twindad
Name: Tom Lewis

Re: Getting Twerked

Post by Twindad » Wed May 21, 2014 3:05 pm

Funny, the things that some think are fun, others avoid. I'm trying to keep an open mind about getting trashed in holes, tho.

Twindad

Post by Twindad » Wed May 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Funny, the things that some think are fun, others avoid. I'm trying to keep an open mind about getting trashed in holes, tho.

sig
Name: Bryan

Getting Twerked

Post by sig » Wed May 21, 2014 4:05 pm

Isn't the idea to get trashed on purpose in a hole with a safe swim/pool and then be more experienced when it happens to you unexpectedly on some other run?

Crash said she learned a lot on her first trip to Dierks this past Sunday. (See video in other thread)
Bryan Signorelli

Twindad

Post by Twindad » Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Whatever floats your boat (or separates you from it violently, sucks you back in, and twists a throw rope around your neck). Not that there's anything wrong with that.

737driver
Name: Clay Cahoon

Post by 737driver » Wed May 21, 2014 7:54 pm

We stay in the boat to avoid that and hopefully no one throws a rope until a boater is ready for. Sig hit it spot on. We go get "worked" in a safe environment to get comfy and overcome the fear. There is no better way of understanding the powerful effects of hydrology than being in the middle of it. I would think that if a boater is gonna step up and boat class 4 and 5 very much, it's just a matter of when, not if a boater gets munched in a hole. When that happens to me, hopefully my practice at dierks will become rote memory and I'll know not to panic, catch a breath, dig the downstream blade deep in the green and surf the s**t out of it till I find an exit, get a rope, or pop the skirt like I learned yesterday. Good times and a great learning experience.
Clay Cahoon

Paddle solo, sleep tandem

Twindad

Post by Twindad » Wed May 21, 2014 8:10 pm

I agree with that in theory, but in reality sh*t happens, like shoulder dislocations and lumbar disc ruptures. I've spent 25 years recovering from the latter and try to avoid torquey situations. But yes, I do agree that dropping into sticky holes will help you with dropping into sticky holes.

Twindad

Post by Twindad » Wed May 21, 2014 8:12 pm

I agree with that in theory, but in reality sh*t happens, like shoulder dislocations and lumbar disc ruptures. I've spent 25 years recovering from the latter and try to avoid torquey situations. But yes, I do agree that dropping into sticky holes will help you with dropping into sticky holes.

onewhopaddles

Post by onewhopaddles » Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm

In a play boat you would still flush from the third hole at 450cfs. In a creek boat we couldn't get it out yet but we are still working on it. I was more focused on protecting my shoulder than digging deep and getting out.

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Post by we66erno1 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm

That hole only looks wicked. As long as you keep your arms in the paddler box, your less likely to torque a shoulder. The same goes for cartwheel hole at rockport. Or any hole that you play in.

Wanna be a better boater? Spend time in the third hole at dierks. You'll be better prepared for runs like Richland and other harder runs.
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

hdh
Name: Harlan

Post by hdh » Thu May 22, 2014 5:20 pm

it's Fun !!!!!!
Harlan Dickson Hughes.....If you fly with the buzzards at night, you got to soar with the eagles in the morning!!!!!!

rugger
Name: casey

Post by rugger » Tue May 27, 2014 5:28 pm

I would rather play in the third hole at Dierks than any of the holes at Rockport. Once you figure out how to get out its an AWSOME place to play!

Social Media