Labor Day Trippin: Beat The Heat 2008!

Open Discussion
Fish

Labor Day Trippin: Beat The Heat 2008!

Post by Fish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:24 am

The heat index for today is 110 degrees... We're gonna beat the heat this year by heading out to the Nantahala and Ocoee Rivers on Labor Day weekend (Aug 30 - Sept 1)! The Nanty is a good kayak/canoe run for folks with class 2+ skills, or for beginners in inflatable kayaks or raft. We will have a raft (or two) along for the Ocoee, which is a good class 3+ run for kayakers and canoers. It's always a fun trip and no need to miss any work with the holiday weekend. If anyone wants to head out there with our group or meet up out there, just holler: fish (at) ozarkpages (dot) com.

Let's go paddling! :)

... Fish

Zach

Re: Labor Day Trippin: Beat The Heat 2008!

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:05 am

I'll be headin' out there that weekend.

A few weeks ago my dad sounded like he wanted to go, so I was going to stick him in a duckie and point him down river (he's been in a kayak a few times). But last night my mom said she'd like to come too, so a raft is probably a better option (she still complains about almost getting drowned on a flooded Frog Bayou sometime in the early 70's, so she probably doesn't want to be alone in a duckie).
I'm going to try and track down a small raft to toss them in. Nice thing is, especially on the Ocoee, I can take them down in a raft in the morning and let them run shuttle all afternoon. :D

Keep me updated, should be a good weekend.

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:46 am

Sweet! I was already planning on heading there that weekend. The Bayou Chapter of the Ozark Society will be there part of the weekend too. I'm going to kayak the Nanty (although I may skip Patton's) and raft the Ocoee. I'll see if I can find someone down here to come along too. It would be nice to split gas costs. :D

By the way, where is everyone planning to stay? I stayed at NOC the last time I was there, but I'm sure it's already full.

Karla
Name: Karla R.

Post by Karla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:28 pm

I would like to plan to go but how many hour drive to Nante? I would only like to raft with someone on the Ocoee like a rafting company. Could someone point me to the best outfitter to raft with at Ocoee?
Not sure of me kayaking myself on the Nante, know I won't on the Ocoee.

Karla

Kim Tucker

Post by Kim Tucker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:03 pm

Karla,

The Nanty is about 1.5 hours from the Ocoee. An easy drive. We usually stay around the Ocoee and sometimes drive over to the Nanty for a day trip. Or you could do it the other way, stay around the Nanty (its always cooler over there) and drive to the Ocoee for a day trip or even hit it on your way home. With a good group, you should be fine in your kayak on the Nanty or most of it anyway. You might want to put in below Patton's run (Patton's is the first rapid, right below the put-in, so you don't miss much at all (only a couple hundred yards). That said, Patton's isn't that difficult and maybe even a bit overrated -- just stay right of center. Then you can take out immediately above the falls and take a look at decide for yourself. It is right at the takeout, so if you decide not to run it is no big deal. There are only a couple of other places that you need to look out for, but so long as you are with somebody that knows the river, they can tell you the lines. It is all pretty much roadside, so if you are uncomfortable there are lots of places to take out. The water is always very cold on the Nanty, so you have to dress for a swim, but the cool sure is pleasant in the heat of summer.
Kim Tucker

Crane

Post by Crane » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Or, if you're not confident in your yak, rent an inflatable, as someone suggested. Now that you have some yakking experience, you would probably be fine in an inflatable on the Nanty... and maybe not even swim!! ... maybe.
Crane

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:58 pm

We're gonna stay at Turkey Creek (near the Nanty) Saturday night and then head to Ocoee and camp somewhere there on Sunday night. Turkey Creek is a great campground. Karla, you're welcome to raft with us if you like and I like the inflatable kayak rental idea for the Nanty, although you're welcome to follow along with our group of intrepid Nantahala newbies! I know the lines like the back of my hand and the road is always there if things get too rowdy.

Looks like it's gonna be an Arkie Party out there again. Let's synchronize watches on this thread and see if we can do some boatin together!

- Fish

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm probably leaving out as early as possible Friday afternoon. Our agenda should look something like this:

Early as possible Friday: Drive out until tired / Motel 6? :hammer:
~1:00 PM Saturday: Nantahala R. / Camp Turkey Cr. :)
~11:00 AM Sunday: Ocoee R., Upper/Lower / Camp ??? :shock:
~8:00 AM Monday: Ocoee R. Lower Quickie / Drive Home :crazy:
Drag into work on Tuesday / Dream about the river :(

That's a tried and tested plan - we've done that exact schedule several years. Will have rafts available on all runs, no charge, but tip your guide. :wink:

... Fish

Karla

Post by Karla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Sooooooooo! With my two years experience, doing the Mulberry, Cadron. What would the Nante be like for me in my kayak? Or should I just do a rafting trip on both rivers with a guide. Or if any of the individuals are doing own rafts, what are the chances of flipping on the Ocoee. My fear if flipping and hitting those big rocks. I have seen some video on you-tube, looks rough.

I don't have camping gear or tent. Is there somewhere indoors to stay, hotel nearby?

Karla

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Karla, it will be a step up from the Mulberry and Cadron...bigger waves, swifter, and colder...but it's a definitely a reasonable step up for someone used to class II Arkansas whitewater. And you couldn't find a better group of people and team leader for your first time down the Nantahala :wink:

Karla

Post by Karla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:04 pm

I don't have a very good eddying, been working on it. Would I not need to be able to do good eddying?
Plan to work really hard on my eddies if it rains before then.

Karla

Liz Caldwell

Post by Liz Caldwell » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Karla,

The Nantahala is a very fun river, but as a first-timer, you might want to rent a duckie -- they just bounce off of everything! That way you get to see the river and as you go down it, you can assess what your skills would be in the kayak, yet you are not worried to death the whole way. It is very fun in a duckie. I have done it several times. I think they rent for about $30 - $35 a day.

As for rafting the Ocoee, there are many fine companies, but one I would recommend is ERA - Endless River Adventures. That's who I took my kayak lessons from in July and they have a wonderful reputation. Also the NOC would be a good choice.
Liz

Karla

Post by Karla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Sounds good Liz, that is probably what I will do. What about flippping over in those rafts on the Ocoee? That would be my biggest fear but with the company you mentioned, maybe that won't be as big of an issue.
Not sure if going yet, have to see what Gary wants to do or not.

Thanks
Karla

Fish

Post by Fish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:54 pm

I've never flipped a raft on the Ocoee. If we raft Upper, all bets are off there, but a flip on the Lower is rare. ANd we usually even swim one of the rapids on purpose. :)

- Fish

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:45 pm

Karla wrote:Sooooooooo! With my two years experience, doing the Mulberry, Cadron. What would the Nante be like for me in my kayak? Or should I just do a rafting trip on both rivers with a guide. Or if any of the individuals are doing own rafts, what are the chances of flipping on the Ocoee. My fear if flipping and hitting those big rocks. I have seen some video on you-tube, looks rough.

I don't have camping gear or tent. Is there somewhere indoors to stay, hotel nearby?

Karla
You've got a lot more experience than me and I'm fairly sure I could handle the Nanty. The only reason I didn't paddle it in March was all of the rain. It was big and the only person I could find to paddle with me had been up drinking till 4am. lol

You can practice peeling out and catching eddies at NOC upstream of the bridge. There are a bunch of man made eddies and it's a nice way to warm up for the river. It's probably what kept me out of trouble in a channel wide strainer on the Little Tennessee.

I'm going to stay at the NOC Basecamp. As of this morning, they still had some openings for that weekend. It's not fancy, but it's only $16 a night. Plus, it's nice to be right there by the pub, restaurants, and outfitter.

Social Media