Labor Day Trippin: Beat The Heat 2008!

Open Discussion
Karla
Name: Karla R.

Re: Labor Day Trippin: Beat The Heat 2008!

Post by Karla » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:53 pm

How many are taking rafts? If Gary and I decide to go, who would have room on a raft for the two of us, if any? If not, may use one of the company raft trips.

We may decide to go out on Thursday and sight see around the area a little before we see ya'll on Saturday. I will need some cell #'s to have to make sure where we are going to meet up.

Karla

Karla

Post by Karla » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:26 pm

We have our plans arranged. Gary and I plan to leave Aug 28th, paddle a ducky Saturday on the Nante, then Raft with NOC on Sunday, the Ocoee.
We aren't camping out, but have a B&B arranged near the Nante area.
Maybe we can meet up with you guys in the evening or catch you on the river. We plan a little sightseeing around the area. Our plans are to leave early Monday morning for home as we have to work the next day.

Karla

Lifejacket
Name: Adam Snodgrass

Post by Lifejacket » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:12 am

I hope it rains big again while yall are gone!
Yellow Extrasport now above a blue Liquid Logic Hoss

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:35 am

I've decided to spend the whole weekend at the Nanty, so I can walk away from this really comfortable in class II+ water. At this point my plans are to get some private instruction Saturday morning and run the river with the group Saturday afternoon. I'd like to use all my new found skills for another run on Sunday though. Is anyone else planning on sticking around through Sunday?

p.s. I was also considering taking the Intermediate I kayak class. It's $445 for 2 full days of instruction. That includes two nights in a cabin (they are really nice and normally $110+ a night) and 7 meals (the restaurants are really good). There currently isn't anyone signed up for the course and they require a minimum of two people to run the class. Is anyone else interested?
http://www.noc.com/index.php/intermedia ... 2-day.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lifejacket

Post by Lifejacket » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:59 pm

If the NOC class doesn't work out for you look at Endless River I have heard really good things about there instruction.

sugarmtngal
Name: Gretch

Post by sugarmtngal » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:11 pm

Hey Lifejacket, you should come with us! See ya!
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair". -Kahil Gibran-

Lifejacket

Post by Lifejacket » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:28 pm

I actually spent the last full week of July out there just can't afford to go back so quick.

Karla

Post by Karla » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:32 pm

Sugarmtngal,
What will you be paddling on the Nante and Ocoee? Just wondering who might be going that won't be kayaking it, like we are, rafting the Ocoee and ducky paddling the Nante? We are staying at B @B not far from the Nante Friday and Saturday night. Not sure yet around the Ocoee for Sunday night. Hopefully we can still hook up on the rivers with ya'll. We have scheduled Saturday afternoon on the Nante and also on the Ocoee with NOC.

Karla

Lifejacket

Post by Lifejacket » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Karla, don't know if you have already reserved a ducky for the nanty, but I think from paddling with you that you could handle it in your yak. If nothing else you may still use the ducky, but I might carry your hero anyway and do little sections because it is so easily accessible. Gary could probably even handle it is his bell, but be sure to have a good bailer to handle all the water picked up from the rapids. You could also look at paddling the Hiwassee River. It is about 20 minutes from the ocoee, and I think yall's style of river.

sugarmtngal
Name: Gretch

Post by sugarmtngal » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:16 pm

Karla,
Hey glad to hear we can paddle together. I'll be paddling my KendoI on the Nantee, and a few sections of the Ocoee (don't have a roll yet and as per my Coach Dave R. I shouldn't paddle the Ocoee unless I have a good solid roll with confidence, etc.) I'll be rafting the Ocoee and of course going out to nearby Asheville for the evening (great restaurants and coffee shops). Definitely looking forward to a good workout on the river and then some festivities; maybe even dancing :clap: Hope to hook up with you and your partner! :D Kurt and I (maybe other passengers)should be arriving in the area Friday before 1100; as we are contemplating leaving Thurs evening! See ya soon girl!
Gretchen
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair". -Kahil Gibran-

Karla

Post by Karla » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:12 pm

I am not bringing my Jackson Hero. I don't feel that confident on those rivers. Already have arranged the ducky for Gary(hubby) and I guided on the Nante. We will go at 1pm on Saturday, then 2 something on the Ocoee guided raft with NOC on Sunday. Where is everyone staying? We are staying near Bryson City in a B&B lodging. We don't camp out but wish I could sometimes, don't have a tent. If you all don't mind, PM me your cell #'s so we can get in touch when we are there.

We plan to leave Thursday, maybe even Wednesday, the 27th.

Karla

RomanLA
Name: Roman Ryder

Post by RomanLA » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 pm

I'll be there early Friday too. I'm staying at NOC Basecamp. Check in isn't until 3pm, so I'm planning to take a hike on the AT. After I check in, I'll be heading down to the river for some practice. I'm sure I'll have at least one extra kayak, if anyone wants to play. I'll send my cell number out via the mailing list before I leave. See y'all there!

nathan richard
Name: nathan

Post by nathan richard » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:23 am

what are the crowds like out there on labor day weekend? are camp spots easy to come by?

KAYAKN

Post by KAYAKN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:16 pm

Its usually like a gost town because all the little kids have went back to school. Finding a place to camp should be very easy too

Fish

Post by Fish » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Usually the major campgrounds are pretty booked up in advance. Still can find camping at River's usually not as busy as Memorial Day, but it can be pretty close!

- Fish

Social Media