Gunwale Replacement Guidance

Open Discussion

fortner
Name: Fortner

Gunwale Replacement Guidance

Post by fortner » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:28 pm

I am not certain that I am posting this in the right place, so if I’m not do not hesitate to correct me.

I have acquired an old Mad River Malecite whose ash gunwales were full of termites. So I have embarked on the replacement process.

What I’ve learned so far is that ash replacements are difficult to come by, or at least the shipping on the is astronomical if they are not accompanying a boat order.

Jim at Ozark Outdoor is helping me to track some down, but we don’t yet have any partially promising prospects.

If any of you have some helpful guidance or even useful parts, please reach out to me.

You can respond to me here or reach me by phone at 501-918-8047.

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

kansas picker

Re: Gunwale Replacement Guidance

Post by kansas picker » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:30 pm

Not an inexpensive option but Ed's Canoe sells ash gunwales with scarfe joints that can be shipped UPS. Google Ed's Canoe and look under canoe components. Essex Industries also sells full length ash gunwales but oversize shipping from New York would be $$$

I've heard of using salvaged plastic gunwales from damaged boats...usually Old Town Discoveries.

There is also a "Canoe Outfitting and Repair" Facebook group with lots of information.

Good luck

Social Media