Off topic but not totally - thru hiking/long hike

Open Discussion

wgonfan

Off topic but not totally - thru hiking/long hike

Post by wgonfan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:32 am

Hi all. On again/off again forum poster here, sorry if this is a bit off topic for this forum but the googler hasn't been much help and I'm oo old and crorchity for Facebook..... Im looking for like mind adventurers input.

With covid/work from home etc... I've reached my burn out point and am in serious need for adventure and real disconnection from my digital work/life. I'm looking for a week long trip to recharges and reconnect. that's not unusual,; I've done trips each year with a similar goal but 2020 seems much more to tackle and I need some help finding something that fits the bill

I've sold my kayaks last year since I wasn't getting much use out of them and as I feared im sitting here regretting that decision. But, it is what it is. I'm not opposed to buying new gear for a kayak based trip but backpacking currently has my interest. I'm experienced at both.

I have a few work trips up north towards Michigan in late August that I was trying to take advantage of but nothing is really standing out up that direction.

Does any one have any tips or suggestions?
Last edited by wgonfan on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Off topic but not totally - thru hiking/long hike

Post by 224 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 am

The Ozark Highlands Trail would satisfy your mileage requirements but would be more enjoyable with lower temperatures and less bugs in mid to late October.

wgonfan

Post by wgonfan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:20 am

I have wanted to hike that one for a while but would definitely waiting until October/November. Are there a lot of hunters up there that time of year?

Post by 224 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 am

I've never seen many hunters in mid-late Oct. Archery season runs mid-Oct to the end of Feb and muzzle loader season is in mid Oct and then in Dec. Modern gun deer season sees probably the largest activity but doesn't start until Nov 14 (I wouldn't be out hiking that weekend) but seems to taper off after the first couple of weeks. Of course, hunters aren't supposed to hunt on the OHT or within 200 ft. of it but I'd wear some orange if you're going to be out. With Covid-19 and a lot of fall sports and other activities cancelled, I hope a lot of new folks don't decide to take up hunting this year like what's happened with paddling.

Social Media