Upper Little Missouri (Albert Pike to Hwy 84

Open Discussion

caseyghenry

Upper Little Missouri (Albert Pike to Hwy 84

Post by caseyghenry » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:25 am

My son and I would like to float the upper section of the little Missouri. (Albert Pike to Hwy 84)We have 8’ and 10’ sit on top kayaks with wet suits/helmets/pfds exc. we would like to float the upper section soon but I’ve been told that it’s unsafe without whitewater kayaks. Is this accurate? At what water level would it become unsafe? We have floated the lower section (Hwy 84 to Star of the west) at around 5 foot with this gear and had zero problems. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rouble
ACC Webmaster
Name: Chris

Re: Upper Little Missouri (Albert Pike to Hwy 84

Post by rouble » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:58 pm

American Whitewater lists that section as being class II-III+(IV) which means it is mostly class two to three plus with a class four rapid in there somewhere. I wouldn't recommend doing class 3+ or 4 in a sit on top unless it's one you can roll and you've got a reliable swift water roll since swims can be very dangerous in that class of rapid. The lower section is listed as just Class II so quite a bit easier than the upper.

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:26 pm

My gut says to steer clear of the Little Mo unless you have many, many trips on class II+ under your belt. It is class II+ and III and typically is not runnable until we have a lot of rain. Need about 3.8 to about 5 feet on the USGS gage. Your window of opportunity will be small too as it drains off usually within 24 hours of the rain that filled it. It tends to be runnable during the cold months so often a trip on the Lil Mo is a cold experience. It is also pretty remote. Except for the first mile or so and the last mile or so, it is wilderness. Anything that goes wrong could make for a really bad experience. I wold also not recommend running it without at least 2 others and preferably someone who has been there multiple times. The Big Piney, Illinois Bayou, Mulberry, Upper Cossatot (above Hwy 246) as the Lil Mo below 84 as you mentioned would be better choices.
Skoboten!

razrbxs
Name: Trent

Post by razrbxs » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:36 am

Used to run it in canoes when the rains allowed. Usually needed to be above 5' on the Hwy 84 gauge. I have also lost a boat on this section when it was above 8'. Lots of great waves and rapids. Experience is always the key.

Social Media