Middle Buffalo advice

Open Discussion

jamesLR
Name: james

Middle Buffalo advice

Post by jamesLR » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am

I'd like advice on stretches of the middle buffalo when the water levels are low, especially as compared to the lower buffalo.

I've spent countless weekends on the lower buffalo at low water levels - hwy 14 bridge down to the white river. My main goal is canoe-camping where the loud day-trippers AREN'T, as opposed to finding the perfect water level with great rapids, and I've found that part of the river during low water to be amenable. Even when people say "Oh, it's too low, you'll be miserable!" I'm still able to get by with a little dragging over gravel shoals and paddling the still pools. No biggie.

An example of my tolerance for low water conditions: a few weeks ago I wanted to get some photographs of Skull bluff above Woolum. Everyone said it was too low to float from Mt. Hersey, so I put in at Woolum and went upstream for a mile and a half. It was certainly more of a workout than a leisurely paddle, but I made it to skull bluff in about two hours with all my camping gear and just a bit less sweat than I started the trip with.

I've floated most of the Buffalo below Boxley, but my experience with the middle stretches was mostly years ago and only when the water was perfect. My question is, are there stretches above Woolum that are navigable (similar to the lower buffalo) even when the rain gauge shows very low? That far up river, will I be pulling my canoe over crazy-big rocks rather than the gentle gravel shoals I've encountered during low water below Rush? Unlike the lower buffalo, are there frequent dry stretches (aside from the well-known stretch below Woolum that's known to run underground)?

I guess, in a perfect world, I'd love to hear from someone who's been on both parts of the river during low water and can compare them. Any info or advice would be great!
Thanks,
James

txar
Name: steve

Re: Middle Buffalo advice

Post by txar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 pm

I was working in Jasper this summer and did the same thing you did in June & September. Since i was alone i had to put in at Wollum and double blade it to Skull Bluff. The September float i put my 30 lb Minn Kota on my solo Sunburst II and boogied on upstream. Also this area never seems to suffer from the snotty looking green algae bloom in the summertime.For years i have always assumed that this paddle up to Skull Bluff and float back to Wollum was a practical way for me with a single vehicle. Wollum was the only area that had adequate flow for me this summer while i was working not far from Pruit, Hasty and Carver. Which by the way when i could make time to put in were maybe doable if you were willing to spend most of your day dragging over small to water melon size river rock. By myself i will never Hedge against the posted gauge level for the these three areas.I actually drove to these 3 spots and decided it was not for me. So how do the Middle and Lower compare ? I would say that the middle Buffalo river bed is similar to lower Buffalo. Just not enough water during this year's summer months.
I am wondering about the water table levels from Wollum to Low Gap since I heard that some folks wells have gone dry at Low Gap. The owner of Low Gap Cafe and a customer there told the lady i was was working for their wells had gone dry. However, the lady i was working for has a spring that had no problem supplying her home all her bathing and washing needs plus the tastiest water i have ever drank.
Attachments
20180605_151046[1].jpg
20180605_142806[1].jpg

Social Media