Safety Tubing Remmel Dam?

Open Discussion

rburp
Name: Richard

Safety Tubing Remmel Dam?

Post by rburp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi all, I've lived in AR my whole life, but rarely have done many outdoor activities, been trying to change that.

A friend suggested we tube from Remmel Dam to Rockport this weekend, and that sounded fun.

I started doing some research, and read several reports about how it's a pretty good place to float, and it's pretty slow/easygoing.

But then I read about the weekly dam releases, and how they release at ~3600 cfs, and I googled safe cfs for tubing, and it seems that you want to tube at, like, 200-500 cfs, and more could be unsafe. Friend claims he's gone up there many times, and it's never been a problem.

I'm not sure what to think here, anyone familiar with this float? Am I worrying about nothing? Or should I wait until americanwhitewater.org shows a much lower cfs? Seems like it's too high during the middle of every day.

Edit: I originally said Remmel-I30, but I meant Remmel to Rockport, right past the ledge. Oops!
Last edited by rburp on Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon Kumpuris
ACC Communications

Re: Safety Tubing Remmel Dam?

Post by Gordon Kumpuris » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 pm

It is fine. At normal summertime releases tubing is excellent. You should encounter only one real rapid. It is right at the end of the run, (assuming you take out at the Rockport WW Park which most people do). Just stay about 10 to 20 feet off the left bank as you are heading downstream and you will ease through with no problem.
You will know it when you see it because there will likely be kayakers surfing the waves there at the rapid.
Remember to take a mesh bag for any trash and keep all drinks and stuff in a locking container. If you have canned or bottled drinks they must have a floating "huggie"

Enjoy.
Skoboten!

rburp
Name: Richard

Post by rburp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Yes, I meant Rockport, not I30 lol.

Good to know about the mesh bag and the locking container. I was just going to use a Styrofoam cooler bungee corded together, but I'll find something else I suppose. Thanks for the knowledge of those prerequisites, will make sure to have them.

Cheers!

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:29 am

rburp wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:34 pm
Yes, I meant Rockport, not I30 lol.

Good to know about the mesh bag and the locking container. I was just going to use a Styrofoam cooler bungee corded together, but I'll find something else I suppose. Thanks for the knowledge of those prerequisites, will make sure to have them.

Cheers!
Welcome, Richard! Gordon pretty well covered it, but I'll add one very important thing. Please don't ever under any circumstances take a Styrofoam cooler (or Styrofoam anything really) on the water. A much better choice is a soft sided cooler with a fully functional zipper. Provided you properly secure it to your tube (piece of rope or a short cam strap is far superior to a bungee cord) it will even serve as your approved trash container and you won't need a mesh bag. Also, I'm sure you already know this but don't take any glass. It's agin' the law. :NoNo:
Have fun!
You come too.
Robert Frost

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Please take a gander at the pinned post, "Arkansas Laws - What every paddler needs to know". Some of it has already been covered, but not all of it.

On safety, yes, high flows can create problems, but on this stretch you have to work at it to get yourself into trouble. Near the start, there are some smaller side channels off to the left. Don't take those - sometimes there will be a tree down. There are also a few overhanging trees along the banks with fast water. Just keep your eyes open and paddle away from the bank before you get swept under a tree. Keep your group together - I had to "save" one little girl who got separated from her parents, got scared, and was just hanging on to a tree. No big deal really, I just towed her back out into the main current and talked to her until we could get her reunited with her parents.

At the ledge - Gordon already said where to run, let me fill in the "why". There is one very dangerous hydraulic out in the very middle of the river that has been the scene of several near-drownings. Stay within 75 to 100 feet of the left bank and you won't even be able to see that spot. The second thing is, many tubers are landing above the ledge, thinking it is safer to just take out before they get there. I disagree. I've seen broken glass on the rocks there, and you run the risk of getting a foot entrapment if you miss the landing. Better to just float over the ledge; if you tump, it is not dangerous, and one of the kayakers will come out to assist if you need it.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Social Media