Big Piney Creek first timer's trip -- sunday, May 20th

Open Discussion

T Yamashita
Piney Creeks Chapter President

Big Piney Creek first timer's trip -- sunday, May 20th

Post by T Yamashita » Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi, It looks like it may rain next week so this trip may actually be a GO.

Big Piney Creek First Timers Trip
Sunday, May 20th.

This will be a day long trip for individuals who have paddling experience with solid class II boating skills to enjoy the rapids of Big Piney Creek. We will put in at Helton’s farm and take out at Longpool campground. This event is rain fall dependent and will require at least a reading of 2.5 at the highway 164 USGS gage at twin bridges and no more than a 3.5 upper level at the gage. It will take four to six hours on the water excluding shuttles, etc… You will need to bring food and water for a good day trip. If you park at Longpool, you will need to pay the $3.00 day use fee as well as a $2.00? boat fee at Helton’s. Shuttles are not guaranteed, but we will do our best to help you out.

We will meet at the upper parking lot at Longpool by the pavilion at 10 AM on Sunday morning to sign ACA waivers, pay fees, break up into smaller groups and set shuttle.

Participants: All participants must be ACC members with current dues paid. You do not need ACA (American Canoe Association) membership but if you are not a ACA member, you will need to pay a $5 event fee as the event will be insured & sanctioned by the ACA. As a minimum level of experience, you must have participated in the ACC whitewater school at Turner Bend in the last two years (2017 or 2018) and have your instructor contact me at the email address below to verify your experience and ability. If you have not been to whitewater school, you must have an ACC instructor verify your level of experience or you must send me information about the rivers you have paddled and what type of boat you paddle. I will then decide if you are on the list. How many people make the list will depend on the number of shepherds and safety boaters that sign up. I am expecting at least 40 participants, so that will mean a minimum of 14 experienced boaters. You do not need to have a moving water roll for a decked boat, but you should have good self rescue skills if you overturn. You must have the following paddling gear: appropriate boat with floatation & paddle for class II+ whitewater, coast guard approved lifejacket, helmet, spray skirt for decked boats, good footwear for whitewater, clothing to prevent hypothermia, and food & water for a daytrip.
Recommended but not essential: first aid kit & throw rope.

Shepherds & volunteers: ACC/ACA membership is recommended but not required as you can purchase an event membership as above. Please let me know in what capacity you wish to help. If you are NOT an ACC instructor or I do not know you, please let me know what qualifications you have to lead novice paddlers down the creek. I need an experienced shepherd and safety boater for each six participants. We will also need shuttlers and lead/sweep boaters to help manage the crowd. If you do contact me about shepherding, please do not cancel at the last minute to go run another great creek that is also flowing well. ;-)

My contact information: tyamiyami@gmail.com. Please use this email address rather than FB messaging, etc…

****This event can change at a moment’s notice as it will heavily depend on all the shepherds and safety boaters that will show up.

I will update this information as I get corrections and further data.

Thanks! ty
:beer: :beer:

T Yamashita
Piney Creeks Chapter President

Re: Big Piney Creek first timer's trip -- sunday, May 20th

Post by T Yamashita » Fri May 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi, Looks like we’re gonna cancel as we have no rain.
Best, ty

Social Media