Buffalo River - Rush to White River

Open Discussion

Abc113

Buffalo River - Rush to White River

Post by Abc113 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Hey all, I am planning a 3 day fishing trip from Rush to the White river leaving out on May 18th. Any feedback from those that have completed this stretch on a maximum gauge level at Harriet to have decent float and fishing?

Roger

Re: Buffalo River - Rush to White River

Post by Roger » Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am

Here's a link to get your levels and floating conditions. There is usually enough water to get down this section year round (even in the dry summer). Be advised that if the CoE is generating at Bullshoals/Norfork then you might not be able to access the take-out at Buffalo City on the White and need to go down to Cotter or Norfork.

https://ar.water.usgs.gov/buffaloriver/
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

paddledog

Post by paddledog » Thu May 10, 2018 3:41 am

I float that stretch often, I have taken out at Buffalo Point only once. Don't bother.
Just buy your trout stamp, and fish your way down to Shipps' Ferry. Nice float.
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abc113

Post by Abc113 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:17 am

Thanks for the info, I am seeing that 6 feet seems to be the max gauge height to have a reasonable float but has anyone gone when it is over 6? With the pending rain next week just wanting to know where to draw the line of canceling the trip.

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Post by Cowper » Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 pm

I find the best reference is the site already referenced by Roger above, even though you have to click around a bit to get what you want:

https://ar.water.usgs.gov/buffaloriver/

Per this site, on the Harriet gauge, 6.08 feet to 10.54 feet is "Experienced only" (I think they call it "high", but same difference), while 10.54 and up is considered "Flood". So 10.54 should be a "no-go" for sure; levels between 6 and 10 depend on your experience and skill level.

One thing I would note is, there is a rapid immediately downstream of Rush, Clabber Creek Shoals, that can develop some impressive waves at some of these higher levels. If you're not familiar with it, get out of your boat before going into the rapid, hike downstream and pick your route before you go barrelling around the corner. I know of at least one person who clearly met the general definition of "experienced" that swamped their boat in those big waves and lost a lot of gear including an expensive camera.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

Social Media