Little Maumelle

Open Discussion

ubenumber2

Little Maumelle

Post by ubenumber2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Okay newby here who grew up in the country now living near Little Rock and need to find more things than deer season and hiking to get my young son outdoors. Buying an Intex explorer and was hoping to take him Sunday from Pinnacle to where it comes out near 430. Two questions , is this possible with the current water levels? Also how much time should be allotted for a leisure float down if it is possible , if not where else could I take him this weekend?

Jim Krueger

Re: Little Maumelle

Post by Jim Krueger » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:16 pm

As dry as it is right now, and as low as the rivers are, the Little Maumelle River can still be a choice. The stretch of the river from Pinnacle Mountain State Park down to the Pinnacle Valley Rd. area, (about four miles), is probably too low, at least in the first mile or two. There is a private put-in on Burnett Rd. (just off Pinnacle Valley Rd., after crossing the railroad tracks) where you can access the lower three or four miles of the river down to the I-430 ramp, which should be floatable. Another option is the 2+ mile section of the Lower Caddo River at Caddo Valley (Arkadelphia), it is just off I-30, has a minimum flow, and an outfitter service to offer shuttles ( River Rats Inc.) Nice clear water to swim and picnic, and a few micro-rapids.

Best Regards
Jim

Social Media