Helton's Farm Big Piney access?

Open Discussion

Bentleyfish
Name: Bentleyfish

Helton's Farm Big Piney access?

Post by Bentleyfish » Tue May 02, 2017 1:10 pm

A Missouri boy here asking a quick question that some of you might be able to answer for me. Has anyone here ran the Big Piney Creek AR from Helton’s farm to Longpool campground? I have read that Helton’s farm, which is private, may not be agreeable to boaters putting in on their property now days. I know in the past they used to charge 3 dollars per boater to launch there. If anybody knows if we can still put in at Heltons (treat access) please let me know. I would hate to get down there only to hump our boats through those hills for another access.

Thanks guys, Bentley.

rouble
ACC Webmaster
Name: Chris

Re: Helton's Farm Big Piney access?

Post by rouble » Tue May 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Last i heard they were still fine with boaters paying to put on there, though from what I heard recently the access road is in pretty poor condition at the moment. The central chapter and a local outfitter are looking into helping improve the access point by filling potholes in the near future.

Bentleyfish
Name: Bentleyfish

Post by Bentleyfish » Tue May 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks man, I appreciate the info. Happy paddling.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Tue May 02, 2017 2:30 pm

Not positive, but I think Moore may be collecting the fee now. That may only be if you use them for shuttle, but I'd suggest stopping in to ask. In any case, launching is still permitted there.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue May 09, 2017 9:25 am

Last time I was there, one of Ms. Helton's sons was collecting the fee. Think my charge for the raft was $4. If no one is there, find a way to leave the money for them on the porch. Thinking I recall there is a coffee can for that purpose. If you are leaving the vehicle, I would make sure that they know which vehicle paid the fee.

$.02
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

David C
Name: David Cooke

Post by David C » Wed May 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Glen Helton has been waiting at his house on busy days. Sometimes he will wait up by the cemetery. He doesn't get around too well so you'll need to get out and talk to him. Prices haven't changed. If he is not there then leave the money in the tin can on the front porch with a rock on top. During the winter time they will close the gate for hunting season. Either talk to the Moore's and try to get access or put on Indian Creek. There's a couple bad strainers on the lower part before it hits the Piney.

fahunny
Name: Crystal Holsted

Post by fahunny » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Do you know a physical address of Helton's farm so I can google map it.

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:45 am

Just pull up Treat, Arkansas. Should be able to locate it from there. Fenced field with access to creek across from the house should make it easy to find.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Social Media