Pine Creek Gage Project

Open Discussion

boofmaster

Pine Creek Gage Project

Post by boofmaster » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:18 pm

From ACC President Chris Handley:
The Arkansas Canoe Club has secured funding that will allow for a gauge to be installed on Pine Creek for flows off of Flagpole mountain in southeast Oklahoma near the town of Clayton. This will give paddlers a new gauge to base eight or more class II-IV+ runs. The U.S. Geological Survey has been instrumental in this process. More details forthcoming.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: Pine Creek Gage Project

Post by okieboater » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:17 am

I am blessed to be part of the small group of people who have run both Pine and Clear Creeks.

I grew up in North GA, learned to boat there, NC and East TN. Clear Creek reminds me so much of the creeks of my misspent youth. To find a creek like this in SE OK is hard to believe. Pine is similar to Clear just easier rapids.

Both are jewels to be enjoyed if the chance is there for CFS and Access.

Back in the days of discovery, there were access issues with gates, land owners and the local paper company. I hope these issues are / can be resolved and more of you can enjoy these two runs.

Respect for the land and owners is key to access and I encourage all boaters to do their best to observe any and all agreements.

The gage project is just awesome. Please keep projects like this one going forward.

Thanks Arkansas Canoe Club for all the Club does for area boaters. :crossed:
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat May 13, 2017 5:12 pm

I see the Pine Creek Gage is now up and running.

Even tho Randy Jackson and myself ran Pine several time way back when, I have no knowledge of what the new gage readings mean. We just went down there when it rained a lot.

Anyone have any idea of good levels on the gage to run this little jewel?

I gave away or sold really reasonable all my hard shell creekers but kept the Remix 79 for old time sakes.

My spine Doc sez no hard shell kayaks due to twist strain on the fixture etc.
But, duckies are ok.

So I got a ThrillChaser, figuring if this model is what the Synder Brothers use for West VA steep creeks, it should work well down here. And, so far it has done well in Colorado and Montana.

Pine would be a great place to fire up the Thrill Chaser for sure!!!!
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

mgood

Post by mgood » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:08 am

The gauge is being moved upstream from its current location to get a better reading on water level that is unaffected by the Kiamichi. Should be up and running in its final location within a couple of weeks.

mgood

Post by mgood » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 am

The Pine Creek gauge is now at its final location, which is ideally situated about a quarter mile upstream of the takeout. It is reading a much different pool height now. This is only possible because of the cooperation of local landowners, USGS, the ACC, OKC Kayak, and individual contributors.

https://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/ok/nwis ... 0065,00060

Social Media