Passing of Don "Motor" Sims

Open Discussion

whudson
Name: WWalter Hudson

Passing of Don "Motor" Sims

Post by whudson » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:30 pm

I just learned today of the death of Don "Motor" Sims. He was an avid kayaker in the Russellville area in the 80s and 90s.
He paddled a red dancer along with other members of the "red boat in the hole" gang. These included Motor, Gary Fisher, Mike Hottinger, and Dennis Vosburg among others. I followed these guys on many good whitewater trips on Big Piney, Illinois Bayou, Falling Water, Hailstone, and Richland. We had a lot of fun, and I will always cherish these memories of Motor on the creek. Walter Hudson

Cowper
Name: Cowper C

Re: Passing of Don "Motor" Sims

Post by Cowper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:23 pm

I think I may have been on a Big South Fork trip with Motor when he dislocated his shoulder. It was sort of one of those freak things, as he was one of the better paddlers there that day. I know he had a reputation as a powerful paddler, possibly where the nick-name "motor" came from? I was told he was the one you wanted to be there if you ever had to take a swim and needed a boat-based rescue!

Sorry to hear of his passing.
Trash: Get a little every time you go!

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:19 am

May Motor rest in peace.

I have fond memories of boating with Motor, this group and others of the day.

When Big Piney was running there were several groups who would spend hours if not most of the day playing at "surfing rapid".

It was a sign of the times and great fun for all of us to meet up and play the wave.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

arkansas-santa1
Name: Jerry Roller

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 am

RIP Motor....I paddled several river miles with Motor. The one that sticks out most to me was a trip out West on the Arkansas. Motor always said he would rather roll that brace. I never understood that. He had a epic surf in the Royal Gorge @ Sunshine Falls. I bet he rolled 10 times before he finally swam out. Great paddler in his time and he could sure party!!!

Roger

Post by Roger » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Sad news when I heard this. Got to share several trips with him when I moved back to Arkansas from West Texas in the early '90s. Always glad to see him in the group.

Hated when I learned that he had quit the sport after a close call on one trip. I heard the story on the river before he actually did stop paddling. :(
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Social Media