A bad whitewater park?

Open Discussion

Schildwache
Name: Richard Dees

A bad whitewater park?

Post by Schildwache » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Could there be any such thing as a bad whitewater park? Well, yes, when it involves the choice between a free-flowing stream and a dam that creates a small lake that silts up quickly, exacerbates flooding, grows massive amounts of algae, stops fish migration, and causes a myriad other types of environmental damage that has already been discussed ad nauseum.

The Walton Foundation has been in discussions with the City of Bentonville in planning to build a dam-release whitewater park below the Lake Bella Vista dam, if it is rebuilt. I say if because I do not concede it is a foregone conclusion. A whitewater park below Lake Bella Vista is an exceedingly bad idea, primarily because of the horrendous water quality of the lake. It is against the law to swim in the lake. Who would want to paddle in water flowing immediately out of it, particularly when in begins to grow algae in the warm months? A new dam will change nothing in regards to the inherent problems of the lake.

It is my opinion that the ACC, as a guardian of the environment, should contact the Walton Foundation and encourage them to abandon this ill-conceived and ill-advised idea. The membership should be encouraged to contact Scott Kelly at the Rogers office of the Corps of Engineers and encourage him to not grant a nationwide permit for the dam or the park. Furthermore, if the foundation continues with plans we should proceed to boycott the park and attempt to make it a pariah among paddling parks. Maybe the threat of that and the lack of support by paddlers would be enough to change their minds. Just say, "If you build it, they won't come!" There is a better way to build a whitewater park there, if they would only listen.
Last edited by Schildwache on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...play skilfully, and shout for joy." (Psalm 33:3 NIV)
"I hope I die before I become incurious or hostile to new delights" - Philip Martin

greg vanhorn
Name: Greg

Re: A bad whitewater park?

Post by greg vanhorn » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:41 pm

Tear down this welfare dam. Let it flow!

Hillmooley

Post by Hillmooley » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Ha ha. This post is too funny. I have been ban from this forum for almost 10 years for not going along with the park. Plus other random acts of rudeness? This was supposed to be Lazer's and Fish's rise to stardom. Two homies and Wal-Mart. You can't go against the elitist ACC mob. You will be censored or banned. Notice no one post here. Funny. Funny.
*Lance I seen Clay in October. I told him you were not in a Jackson now days. He acted like he didn't know You? Is the bromance dead?
NO WHITEWATER PARK PLEASE.

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:09 pm

Wow. Not sure what went down back in the way back to cause said banning, but apparently you really know how to hold a grudge. I'm sorry for whatever unpleasantness befell you and I don't really have an opinion regarding WW parks, but this isn't really about WW parks. It's about the Lake Bella Vista dam.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Hillmooley

Post by Hillmooley » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:03 pm

No....not a "grudge" . Just funny....hard to express in type. hehehaa. But mostly true! Leroy

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:54 am

Take the Dam down!
Thanks Richard for posting. You could get a lot more feed back if posted on the ACC FB page. If you don't mind I'll help you out & do it for you?
See ya on the water,
Rob

Half Ton
Name: J Herrick P

Post by Half Ton » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Just like old times now with a couple of previously restricted folk posting up. I do kinda miss the old days of the wild west rule of electronic information exchange on the forum, but things aren't so different overall and I think the tolerance has increased all around. Which can't be said for a lot of other forums for info exchange these days.

It may be possible to modify or remove the dam and have a recreational stream corridor that can meet multiple uses, including passage for all types of aquatic species.

Being positive about the alternative possibilities will likely gain the most influence and be foster more support and the best outcome.

it's good that people are keeping an eye on things and being involved no matter what.

Leroy, you were just a soul boater ahead of your time.
"The challenge goes on. There are other lands and rivers, other wilderness areas, to save and to share with all. I challenge you to step forward to protect and care for the wild places you love best"

- Neil Compton

Hillmooley

Post by Hillmooley » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:54 pm

Glad you're still in the game Half Ton!
*site administration I DEMAND MY LIFE TIME BAN BE RESTORED! You are scum. You to Fish.....Amos.....and Wal-Mart Lance Lazer. No whitewater park! Go back to Canada....A.

Social Media