NWA trip suggestions?

Open Discussion

blueholebenji

NWA trip suggestions?

Post by blueholebenji » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Hey everyone, I'm kind of a newbie to the NWA area and to paddling. glad I found this site. I've had a blue hole canoe for a couple of years and have done a few overnight trips on the Buffalo and Kings rivers. Do you have any recommendations for 1 or 2 night trips this time of year? I'm willing to drive 2-3 hours into Oklahoma, Missouri, (Kansas?) if needed - More if necessary. I'd prefer to stay away from the crowds on the Elk in Missouri. Thanks for any suggestions and have a great labor day.

blueholebenji

Re: NWA trip suggestions?

Post by blueholebenji » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:57 pm

I just saw similar question below from AnyMan.

Barry Thomas
Name: Barry Thomas

Post by Barry Thomas » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Benji,

It can be challenging trying to find water this time of year, but if you watch the weather and have a flexible schedule there are several great multi-day rivers in the region. The lower Buffalo is almost always floatable as are the Current, 11-point, and Jacks Fork rivers of Missouri. They are all easy class I rivers, but what they lack in excitement is made of for with great scenery. The Spring River almost always has enough water and can be a nice paddle, but is crowded on weekends and most of the camping opportunities are at commercial campgrounds.
When summer finally ends and the rains return, you will find many other wonderful rivers in the area. The Mulberry and Big Piney are two beautiful local rivers that nearly rival the Buffalo for scenic beauty and have some fun Class II-III whitewater.
Many people post invitations for paddling trips on this forum. Check it regularly and feel free to ask questions about any rivers you may have questions about. Good luck and SYONTR

-Barry Thomas

blueholebenji

Post by blueholebenji » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Barry,
Thanks for the great info. These look like great trips my wife and I will be checking out soon. I also hope to get to an AR CC meeting soon. Paddling in this area is something that I plan to do for a long time.
Much obliged sir.

Social Media