New Member Seeking River Information

Open Discussion

AndyMan
Name: Andreas Hansen

New Member Seeking River Information

Post by AndyMan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello NWA paddlers, this is AnyMan. I recently join the ACC, NWA chapter; planning to start paddling in NWA using my ’82 Blue Hole, OCA and my camp between Huntsville and Kingston as a base. My question today, where can I go canoeing over Labor Day, we are meeting with friends from Missouri and want to take a few day trips. I am monitoring the river gauges on the Buffalo. Any other suggestions? Any suggestions/recommendations are much appreciated. :thumbup:

paddledog

Re: New Member Seeking River Information

Post by paddledog » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:16 am

This time of year is hit and miss. It all depends on rain.
With that being said, there are a few year round options.
The Elk, just into Missouri, flows but the party factor keeps most true boaters away.
The Illinois can be run from several put in/ take outs. The most popular is from the
WW park to Hwy. 59. There is even an outfitter at 59 to buy a shuttle from.
Farther to drive but worth the effort are the Spring, Eleven Point and Current rivers.
And if you want to overnight camp/float, the lower Buffalo, from Rush to the White River
flows all the time. There are outfitters in the area to help with any needs.
I don't know if you have seen the Ozark Whitewater gauge page, it is a huge asset provided
by one of our members. Although it is mostly whitewater runs, other rivers are posted.

http://www.ozarkpages.com/cgi-bin/stages.pl?ST=name

When you add in the 'Labor Day' goober fest factor, major holidays are tough to enjoy.
See ya on the river
Fighting for peace........
Isn't that like screaming for quiet?

http://www.Paddledog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arkansas-santa1
Name: Jerry Roller

Post by arkansas-santa1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:33 pm

What Paddle Dog said about the "upper Elk" is true. It is a party river maybe a little bit R rated at times. There is a run on the Elk that is beautiful below Noel Mo. The take out is at a place called Cowskin. It has some pretty bluff lines and the fishn' isn't bad either. It is about 8 miles long and always has current. Ask one of the many Outfitters in Noel about the shuttle most are happy to help.

AndyMan
Name: Andreas Hansen

Post by AndyMan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:28 pm

Paddledog and Arkansas-Santa, thanks for the detailed tips, getting on Google Maps now.

RussellPresley
Name: Russell Presley

Post by RussellPresley » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:03 am

Crooked Creek might still be running with all of this rain we have been getting.

Social Media