OKC Park question

Open Discussion

jdryden78
Name: John

OKC Park question

Post by jdryden78 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:55 am

What skill level would you recommend before tackling the OKC park? Solid II, III? Beginner willing to take a beatdown?

kru1
Name: Kristian

Re: OKC Park question

Post by kru1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:53 pm

I haven't been, but have many solid class III friends that have. They say it is the real deal. Some have swam and some have taken beat downs. If I am not mistaken, they require you to show you know how to roll before they let you go. Don't know if that is the case with open boats.

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

jdryden78

Post by jdryden78 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Guess that's incentive to get in gear and learn.

prophet
Name: Grant Nally

Post by prophet » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:42 am

i have only seen it at 5 pumps. i was told they dont run 6 due to too many raft flips. an open boat would be difficult on the rec course, very continuous and you would need a pump to keep water out, and the eddies were few. the competition course might be a little easier but would def need to get water out of the boat. more eddies on that one but still difficult (III) . swims will prob be ugly. would like to see it at lower flow

jdryden78

Post by jdryden78 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks, will probably hold off until I have my pump set up and a solid roll.

onewillpaddle

Post by onewillpaddle » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:32 pm

You need to be a comfortable class III boater and have a combat roll. It is even quite possible that you will be asked to demonstrate a roll before they let you run the channels. I have had a lengthy discussion with people at the facility and that is how it is. I have heard from others that they were allowed just to get right on but after the conversations that I have had you could be asked and could possibly waste a trip if you cannot execute.
Cheers

onewillpaddle

Post by onewillpaddle » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Open boaters, count on being asked to show your roll.

mgood

Post by mgood » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:36 pm

The course is challenging. At 5 pumps in the recreational challenge is roughly equivalent to running the Tot at 5 feet. Pushy, lots of chaotic ricochets, and holes that can stop you. At 3 pumps, the course is roughly equivalent to the Ocoee. These are very rough reference points but should give you a place to start. I can easily see a lot of people having some serious beatdowns here.

I know of at least one open-boater than managed to lose his shorts, so the ego is vulnerable here as well. A really enjoyable experience though. Go. You won't regret it.

cole m
Name: cole mullican

Post by cole m » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:55 pm

Bottom hole on comp side is a little sticky at three pumps FYI. When is there going to be a big group of open boaters going. It gets lonely being the only one.
open boater

RobM
Name: Rob

Post by RobM » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:33 pm

I didn't think they let boats go down the rec channel at three pumps? I'd be a little worried as shallow as it is with only 3 pumps on the rec side. The comp side is very fun at 3 pumps & even more fun at 6 pumps! 6 pumps is pushy & big. Holes will catch you yet will let you loose if you surf them, yet big, pushy & fast water. Most people don't want to swim there at all. If so I'd be very practiced up on your SWR skills. It's a challenging place to go. The surf hole turns into a beast at 6 pumps too, then a little surf hole right below it. Fun, Fun, Fun!

I'm in a kayak & I knew some of the workers there but I was never asked to show a roll to anyone. They do ask you if you have your own gear though. Sometimes they ask you to show it to them.

Don't let all the talk scare you enough not to try this out sometime though. It's a very fun place & a great place to practice big water skills. If you don't feel like floating your own boat , they offer guided raft trips & tube runs a few times a day . This place will not disappoint you at all yet if you are not ready to run solid class 3 water & don't have a solid combat roll, I'd plan on taking a guided raft trip , tubing & belly surfing instead of paddling your own boat .
See ya on the water,
Rob

andrewdillard

Post by andrewdillard » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Took an open boat down a couple weeks ago and the term "beat down" was accurate. Definitely needed an electric pump to keep the water out.

jdryden78

Post by jdryden78 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:08 am

This has definitely sealed the deal that I need a pump in my spanish fly as it is already a wet boat (especially at my weight).

Social Media