Big Round of Applause for River School

Open Discussion

kru1
Name: Kristian

Big Round of Applause for River School

Post by kru1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:37 am

Big round of applause to Diane, Liz, and all the volunteers who put together River School. I found that the event was ran smoothly and efficiently. I could tell it took a lot of thought and time in the planning process. The venue couldn't be much better for teaching during the day and enjoying yourself in the evenings. I look forward to returning in the future.

Thanks,
kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

Chicago Bob
Name: Bob Tyler

Re: Big Round of Applause for River School

Post by Chicago Bob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:33 pm

Kudos for a great weekend. BOB

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:47 am

Marlo and I both had a wonderful time at River School this year! Many thanks to Liz and Diane for another great event, and to staff, friends, and just a great bunch of students!

I was so pleased with the nice weather all weekend for the school, and good water level! However, I thought I'd report that those few of us who remained to camp Sunday evening had the rain, a real 'frog-strangler' there at Riverside. I'm not certain how many inches fell there at Riverside but the staff came around at some point even and tied all the picnic tables so they wouldn't wash away :wht:
Looking back at the gauge this morning, I see that the river spiked up about two feet over what it had been for us floating on Sunday.

Best Regards
Jim

Crane

Post by Crane » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:10 am

From organization, to staff volunteers, to a hardy instructor corps, this was a fine, fine River School! Our class of long-boaters made the most of every opportunity to advance their skills... as may be indicated by the several swims that resulted in successful recoveries:) The highest compliment received was: "See you next year!" Thanks to all who helped make it great... and particularly to those who labored hard to provide wonderful deserts!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Crane

WPC
Name: Diane

Post by WPC » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:05 am

Many thanks to all of the instructors and support staff that make this event go off without a hitch!! I spoke to as many of the students as possible during the event and received really great reviews of the instruction and overall experiences over the weekend. It is the volunteers that make this event a success. Look forward to seeing each of you again next year!! :kayak: :canoe: :clap:

Diane

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:53 am

River School is a very special time for me. My first one (Rec School back then) was not only an eye opener in terms of what a canoe could do with a little guidance, it was also a door opener into the ACC. When I registered that year my only goal was learning to take my wife and other non-boaters down a river safely. As they say, I didn't know what I didn't know. I had no idea how heavily involved I'd become or how many close friends I would gain ultimately as a result of that one weekend. Since then I've brought two kids (one mine officially by blood and one mine unofficially by heart) to River School and then on to WW School and I'm still more or less obsessed with the club and moving water, all because of River School. It's so incredibly important and I'm honored to be a part of it every year. So, thanks Chief, Shuttle Sherpa, Diane and all the smiling faces old and new I'm blessed to see there every year! It's truly an amazing resource for the community.
You come too.
Robert Frost

AR-Nimrod
Name: Chris Crawford

Post by AR-Nimrod » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:23 pm

I have as much fun volunteering at River School as I did as a student at Rec School. Big shout out to all my official (Hannah (HHH), Tanner (T-Bone), Luke (Deuce), David, Paul (Pablo), Marlo, & Karla) and unofficial (Diane, Anne & Sue) drivers. Thanks to all the instructors for working with my shuttle crew to ensure that all persons, vehicles and boats got where they needed to be when they needed to be there. I will look forward to the next one.

I posted a video of the the aftermath of the rain in the tent camping area at Riverside to my FB page. Looks like a second river.
Chris Crawford

Some people don't know, what they don't know.....

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:20 pm

Crane wrote:From organization, to staff volunteers, to a hardy instructor corps, this was a fine, fine River School! Our class of long-boaters made the most of every opportunity to advance their skills... as may be indicated by the several swims that resulted in successful recoveries:) The highest compliment received was: "See you next year!" Thanks to all who helped make it great... and particularly to those who labored hard to provide wonderful deserts!!! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
On behalf of Luke and Cyndy, you are most welcome. Had a great time teaching my first class with most able assistance from Byron and Sig.

Social Media