$25 Buffalo Canoe Project. Can I fix it?

Open Discussion

BlueHoleArkansas

$25 Buffalo Canoe Project. Can I fix it?

Post by BlueHoleArkansas » Tue May 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi, I was hoping to get yall's opinion on this.
I recently bought a 16' Buffalo canoe for twenty-five dollars. I don't own another canoe and don't have enough money to buy one that I would want so I thought what the heck. ;)
I really love the classic Blue Hole OCA look so I thought it would be awesome if I could put $100-200 in it and maybe ride it for a couple years till I could afford something better.

I would love some input on how you guys would fix this.

Can she see the river Again?

What would be a cheap fix and what would be the more do it right longer lasting fix?
Any info or opinion would be appreciated.

She's pretty rough to look at.
The good is that the inside abs and vinyl have not been worn through and is in really good shape
The gunwhales are straight and also the bow and stern are in good condition as well as the sides, also the inner oval on the bottom floor is in good shape
The bad is that the whole outer part of the bottom is in real rough shapes.
There are plenty of cracks, and chunks through the first layer of abs, and the foam in these areas is in rough shape.

The canoe was made in 97 and has been beaten to hell.
Looks like they patched it maybe 10 years ago and just kept running and running it.
Also the bottom is depressed into the boat about an inch due to the degradation of Royalex on the outer bottom rim.

My current plan to sand then fill and seal with GFlex epoxy then come over that with a layer of ABS magic Slurry, then on top of that run E-glass around the outer oval.
I was also considered adding some fiberglass supporting braces on the outside and inside.

What are your thoughts on this?
I would love some input on what you would do?
I was thinking about contacting buffalo canoes and seeing what their opinion was on this.
can she see the river another day?
Heres a link to the whole album
http://imgur.com/a/YUPiX
Thanks
Last edited by BlueHoleArkansas on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roger

Re: $25 Buffalo Canoe Project. Can I fix it?

Post by Roger » Tue May 31, 2016 8:49 pm

Either cut it in half and make some display shelfs or turn it into a planter/raised garden.

Got a Mohole that I will sell for $200 in wAy better shape.

Save the seats and thwarts.
:twocents:
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

BlueHoleArkansas

Post by BlueHoleArkansas » Tue May 31, 2016 8:58 pm

Thanks for the advice.
What is a Mohole?

kru1
Name: Kristian

Post by kru1 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:58 pm

BlueHoleArkansas wrote:Thanks for the advice.
What is a Mohole?
My guess is some auto-correct version of a Mohawk?

kru
I say, and I intend it emphatically, let the river be.
Thomas Hart Benton, on the Buffalo River

Randy Dodson

Post by Randy Dodson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:39 am

If I remember correctly, a Mohole is a Blue Hole OCA (hull only) purchased by Kerry MOore. Kerry would then put the gunnel's and seats on. Hence the name MO-hole.

Roger will correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:
Parrot Head Paddler

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:36 am

What Mr. Dodson said! Except the hull was formed by Buffalo Canoes for Kerry and he would complete them with gunwales, seats, and thwarts.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

Buckminster Fuller

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Post by BEubanks » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:24 am

Max Wellhouse gave me a lesson years ago on patching boats with kevlar layers for strength then fiberglass for smooth edges. The Kevlar to use is cloth, not the thick grunch pad material your boat has on it. For any patch to work, you'll first have to carefully grind off the loose outer layer down to where the ABS is still bonded to the underlying foam. That's a lot of grinding, based on the photos. That's also a lot of cloth and resin. Have you priced GFlex? Given the size of the patching required, I'm thinking you couldn't do the job with GFlex and keep it under $200. I'm inclined to agree with the advice to keep the gunnels and seats. Spend the $200 to get a boat in better condition. You can easily spend well over $200 patching what you have and still not have much when you're finished.

I don't have any experience with ABS slurry, so can't speak to that. If that would bond directly to the foam, maybe you could skip the GFlex.

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:50 am

I wasn't trying to be a smartass (well maybe a little bit) but Byron laid it out pretty good with the materials listing and work as the damage on the boat is so wide spread. Plus, how bad is the foam core damaged which will need to be dug out and then those areas patched with a fill agent.

Buckminster Fuller

BlueHoleArkansas

Post by BlueHoleArkansas » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:01 pm

I agree the damage is pretty extensive and a complete overhaul would be costly.
what about a cheaper option.
Say $100 and it last me a year of solid river use.
Someone on another forum recommended this

" I would buy System 3 epoxy from Merton's Fiberglass and polyester cloth from Sweet Composites. That combination results in a cheap, flexible, hard-to-delaminate patch.

I would replace the exposed worn foam with either Gorilla Glue or epoxy/micro-ballons. In areas where the foam is smashed flat, but the skin in intact...live with it."

what do ya'll think?

Also Roger I sent you a PM about the Molehole if your actually serious I would take a look at it.

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Looking closer at the damages (specifically the openings exposing the foam core), I would think you would need to clean out a lot of existing foam due to its condition. This would take a lot of time and effort. Plus a working space with climate-control for best results.

Have replied to latest pm.

Buckminster Fuller

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Post by BEubanks » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:43 pm

If you can get materials for $100 or so for a patch that will hold, and don't mind putting in the time, then you'll have a boat you can paddle. Will also make for a backup or loaner when you're able to move up to the next boat. I haven't worked polyester cloth or that particular resin. Only thing I've worked with is West Systems resin, the slow hardener, etc. If you start grinding . . . wear a good breather.

Mike S

Post by Mike S » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Double your money and sell it to me for $50 I could use the seats thwart n yoke
http://www.SalineRiverCanoe.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:27 pm

BHA, I guess the best way for you to see these shots is in this forum!! Text fail and email fail!!

It's ugly but it floats. Might have some air bags (might need minor repair) to throw in if you want. Boat has lacing points installed. Kerry sold it to a guy who paddled it, then sold it back to Kerry when he got a better boat. I bought it when I wanted a camping boat. Might have some Kevlar in my kit if you want it.
Attachments
IMG_2915[1].JPG
IMG_2914[1].JPG
IMG_2912[1].JPG
IMG_2909[1].JPG

Buckminster Fuller

Social Media