Delamination repair

Open Discussion

BlueHoleArkansas

Delamination repair

Post by BlueHoleArkansas » Mon May 16, 2016 6:07 pm

I have an old town appalachian that has a serious area of delamination in the middle of the underside. It looks like it is bubbling up and is soft in that area. Ive found a little bit of information on how to fix it but there is not much out there.
Has anybody dealt with reparing delamnation on a royalex boat before?
Any info would be helpfull.
I will try and post photos soon.
Thanks

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Delamination repair

Post by Deuce » Tue May 17, 2016 8:09 am

Here is the place you need to post. https://cboats.net/cforum/viewforum.php ... d98b905116
You come too.
Robert Frost

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Tue May 17, 2016 9:27 am

My brother (Byron) and I did a delamination fix a few years ago. We used West Marine resin/hardener, kevlar and fiberglass fabric.

Short version: removed all the outer vinyl back to where the delamination ended. cut kevlar fabric to fit/fill area that now has no plastic/vinyl. Altered layers of fabric and resin until we were even with remaining hull then added some fiberglass fabric on top of kevlar, finished with resin. Fiberglass is sandable, kevlar is not.

Note: we did a fairly small area and it worked so that the boat was usable. Not sure an expansive area on the bottom would be doable.

Roger

Post by Roger » Tue May 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Has the vinyl been breached (opened up) or is there just a bubble forming where the outer layer(s) is delaminating from the next layer(s)?
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Social Media