Blue Hole OCB

Open Discussion

Doctordogg86
Name: Pete

Blue Hole OCB

Post by Doctordogg86 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:32 pm

I've been trying to buy a blue hole OCA for years now. Almost had one bought in March but the seller decided he wanted to give it to his eldest son on the day we were supposed to meet! Recently though, someone has offered to sell their Blue Hole "OCB" but I'm unsure how this model will compare to an OCA. Does anyone know and care to share the difference between the two models?

Here's what owner told me about the OCB that I'm considering buying. Made and bought in 1985, 15' 9", royalex, wood-trim. The seller also said that OCB is categorized by Blue Hole as a recreational canoe... Not ww /technical or tripping. I understand that the OCA is categorized by Blue Hole as ww or technical. Both the OCA and OCB have 650lb load capacities....I think.

Please throw some knowledge at me if you know the difference. I'm looking for a tandem blue hole to handle local class II and III waters. I know this is what the OCA is perfect for but not so sure about the OCB.

Thanks

Roger

Re: Blue Hole OCB

Post by Roger » Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 pm

The Bluehole OCA was designed as whitewater boat by the guys who started the company. For several years, it WAS the whitewater canoe (both solo and tandem) of choice.

I would not hesitate to airbag mine out, add some thigh straps and run the Tot, Richland, etc. today in it. Still a great boat for multi-day tripping on the Buffalo as it carries the gear well.

Never heard of an OCB model (no listing of it in the CBoats info) and if it has wooden gunnels then they were added by someone after they got it as I don't remember Bluehole ever putting anything but aluminum gunnels on their boats.

Obligatory disclaimer: :myday"
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed May 11, 2016 3:55 pm

I've read a couple of things about this. First, it appears Blue Hole might have produced an OCB model briefly in the mid '80s and had Merrimack Canoe Company install the woodwork and seats. If so it would probably be worth owning at the right price just for that as Merrimack wood work appears to be highly regarded. The good news is they're still around so you can reach out to them and possibly get a definitive answer to whether there really was such a critter. Also, I distinctly remember seeing a tandem Blue Hole with wood trim on the Buff a few years ago. The wood could have been a retrofit but it sure looked original to me and the boat was drop dead gorgeous. Don't recall much about hull design as I was pretty well fixated on its aesthetic qualities, but it does sound like the OCB was not built for WW. Second, I've read Blue Hole sold OCA blems to outfitters at a discount with OCB rather than OCA in the model number so it could be one of those. Seems unlikely since it has the wood, but if it is you've found an OCA.

Not sure exactly why you're fixated on a Blue Hole unless you just have a love for tradition (which I can certainly appreciate), but if that is the reason you might consider buying the OCB to scratch that itch and seeking out a different WW tandem for your anticipated II/III runs as many better designs for that application have certainly come along in the last thirty years (not taking anything away from OCAs, it's just the nature of things).

Disclaimer: I don't have a fraction of the paddling experience Roger does but I think he'd agree with paragraph two.
Happy hunting!
You come too.
Robert Frost

Sparky
Name: Brent Glover

Post by Sparky » Wed May 11, 2016 10:21 pm

It's been awhile, could be wrong, but I believe the OCB was the 17' model. Same design as the 16'. A friend had one for a long, long time.

Brent

Roger

Post by Roger » Thu May 12, 2016 11:00 am

I stand corrected on the OCB. Luke is spot on with his explanation.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

Doctordogg86
Name: Pete

Post by Doctordogg86 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:05 am

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to get my hands on a Blue Hole Canoes catalog from the 80's, my copy says it is the 8th of 82 copies printed, but anyway it has all the information one could need regarding the 5 Blue Hole models that were in production then. The 5 models are OCA, OCB, 17A, MGA, MGB.

The OCB is different from the OCA in a few ways. Obviously the OCB has wooden decks, gunwales, thwarts and seat frames that are either Mahogany or Ash, not aluminum like OCA. The weight of the OCB is 65# and the OCA is 70#. Mainly, the depth is my main concern between the two models. The OCB has a 13" depth and the OCA has a 15" depth. Blue Hole also has the recommended River-type usage listed as "recreational" for the OCB, and the OCA recommended River-type usage is listed as "technical or WW." Both OCB and OCA have the same hull configuration (tumblehome).

Luke, I read about somewhere that OCBs were blemishes too but there's no mention in my catalog of it. Not sure that they would even put that in their catalog though.

Just outta curiosity, what modern canoe maker/model would you say is comparable or even better than the OCA? I know Buffalo canoes are very similar to the OCA.

Thanks again everyone!

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon May 16, 2016 12:10 pm

Modern is a relative concept of course, but a few that come immediately to mind are Dagger Caption, Esquif Canyon, Two Brothers Arkota (good luck finding one of those!), Dagger Legend (still available with a Mad River sticker on it), probably some Bell and Nova Craft offerings and I'm sure a long list of others I'm forgetting. I'd be willing to bet the old salts would argue the Starburst currently in your possession is also a better WW boat than the OCA, but given our email exchanges you clearly know what you're doing and are most likely a more accomplished open boater than I am, so thank you for humoring me! :whistle:
You come too.
Robert Frost

Social Media