Buffalo Canoes

Open Discussion

Pete134
Name: Peter

Buffalo Canoes

Post by Pete134 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:01 pm

I have a Blue Hole OCA. I am trying to replace a thwart. In the past I ordered parts from Buffalo Canoes. Are they out of business? When I call, the number is no good. If they are out of business, does anyone know where I would find this part.

Thanks,

Pete Shaw

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Re: Buffalo Canoes

Post by Deuce » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:12 pm

There's a Facebook page called My Buffalo River. If you're not among the Facebook averse you can ask to join the group. Once approved you can reach out to a member named Brian Pruitt who will probably be able to help you. Pretty sure I heard him say there are parts available.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Yarbrough
Name: Scott Yarbrough, uhMerican

Post by Yarbrough » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Ozark Mountain Trading Co can fix you up. They are in Garfield. Just had them change out junky plastic seats for nice wood cane's and had them put the lowering kit's on them. They changed out the thwarts too. They took a old Old Town and fancied it up for my nephew's Christmas present. Looks so great my other nephew is angling to get his canoe from Georgia to NWA real bad. Nice folks over there.
Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

Yarbrough
Name: Scott Yarbrough, uhMerican

Post by Yarbrough » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Okieboater you wanna jump in here? I think this is gonna be a mail order thing and you always have great links.
Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:13 am

Yarbrough wrote:Ozark Mountain Trading Co can fix you up. They are in Garfield. Just had them change out junky plastic seats for nice wood cane's and had them put the lowering kit's on them. They changed out the thwarts too. They took a old Old Town and fancied it up for my nephew's Christmas present. Looks so great my other nephew is angling to get his canoe from Georgia to NWA real bad. Nice folks over there.
Since he asked specifically about Buffalo I assumed he was looking for one to match the OEM aluminum thwarts but that might not be the case. If not that would simplify things considerably.
You come too.
Robert Frost

Pete134
Name: Peter

Post by Pete134 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Yeah, I'm looking for the aluminum 3rd thwart. I contacted Ozark Mountain and they only have wooden thwarts. He suggested Gordon at the Buffalo Hotel, I called them and the Mrs. said they were going to start manufacturing in April and she wasn't going to go down and see if they have thwarts. She said I could call back in April. Well that means I miss a month of good ww paddling. I may need to make my own, but I don't really know how.

David C
Name: David Cooke

Post by David C » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Your local machine shop might be able to help you out or at least have a solution for a temporary fix.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:14 am

Pete134 wrote:Yeah, I'm looking for the aluminum 3rd thwart. I contacted Ozark Mountain and they only have wooden thwarts. He suggested Gordon at the Buffalo Hotel, I called them and the Mrs. said they were going to start manufacturing in April and she wasn't going to go down and see if they have thwarts. She said I could call back in April. Well that means I miss a month of good ww paddling. I may need to make my own, but I don't really know how.
Okay, that was my guess. I don't think you'll ever get one by asking the Gordons and I'm not surprised to hear about your encounter. I'll just stop there. ;) I do think Brian Pruitt is your best bet for a Buffalo thwart, but I think your bestest bet is to take the boat to an aluminum fabricator and ask him/her to fab you something up. My guess is it would be quick and cheap. I would take the boat though so they can see how it would fasten, where it would go, etc. Heck, they'd probably even slap it in there for you. That is what I would do. Good luck!
You come too.
Robert Frost

Roger

Post by Roger » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:26 pm

What's the measurement on the third thwart? I have one but not sure of the length. Will check it when I get home.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

David C
Name: David Cooke

Post by David C » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:25 pm

Not sure where you're located but if you plan on paddling the Piney or Illionous Bayou C & C Machinery in Russellville is who I would call. I've used them several times with my business and they are good people. Plus one of their main guys is a paddler and could get the measurements for you in advance and would probably enjoy helping a fellow paddler.

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:14 am

Here is the outfitter I use for canoe parts

https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/canoe-gear-custom

If you get to Ely MN on a Boundary trip, this is the place to check for information and any thing needed for your canoe. They have a end of season sale of their rental gear and canoes that is very interesting. Lots of maps as well.

Chocolate Moose used to be part of the family was sold some time ago, but according to a bud who was there last season still good for that before or after hamburger and shake treat.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Roger

Post by Roger » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Pete, found the thwart and measured it at 32 inches. Aluminum tubing squeezed flat on ends and drilled with one center hole for screws.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:27 am

Over the years I have owned several Blue Hole Canoes. Great canoes and the original Blue Hole with a block of Styrofoam in the center was the hot WW boat in the Southeast streams I grew up on.

Thanks to Roger for the measurements. If it were me, I would find a suitable tube, use a vise to flatten the ends and go from there. Do a duckduckgo search for tubing.

The best place I have found for various metal parts is The Yard in Wichita KS. This is a surplus every thing from Wichita's long time aircraft builders. If you are ever in Wichita, this is a good spot to check out. You name it, it is probably some where in this tool, surplus, metal etc home builders dream.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

bearridge

Post by bearridge » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Love my old Blue Hole OCA. I keep it in Harrison at a pal's house. Back in the 80's, it was the whitewater canoe.

regards
bearridge

It may be that the race is not always to the swift, or the battle to the strong -- but that is the way to bet.  Damon Runyon

Social Media