Looking at cataraft frames

Open Discussion

robkanraft

Looking at cataraft frames

Post by robkanraft » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:57 am

Considering a purchase. Does anyone out there got a 10-12' cataraft I could get pictures of? Extra points if it has an NRS Sportcat frame. Thanks.
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Crane

Re: Looking at cataraft frames

Post by Crane » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:21 pm

If you are thinking 10' to 12' cat, think about getting a light single-bay day frame for play and having a cooler frame to add when you want to do longer river trips... easier to haul/carry around...
Crane

Yarbrough
Name: Scott Yarbrough, uhMerican

Post by Yarbrough » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Hey Rob,
I got a 12' Jacks Plastic Welding Cutthroat. It is fun and it sure is maneuverable. It has enough space for a overnighter if you pack like a backpacker,,, not so much for a car camper. The only thing I don't like about it is the frame. The oar locks are welded on, not bolted on. So there is very little adjustment. A fat bastard like me needs adjustment. Just a heads up. I got some pictures of it somewhere,,, just gotta find them.
Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Yes, I remember that boat! I've decided I need a fly fishing/day tripping platform that I can lug around by myself. I "think" I can use my NRS frame off my of my little Otter, with the addition of a couple of side rails, already have the rowlocks and oars... then just buy some nine or ten foot tubes. The rails are relatively cheap, tubes not-so-much so I want to be sure that's the road I want to go down. I've lost track of MT, but remember that baby cat he had?
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Yarbrough
Name: Scott Yarbrough, uhMerican

Post by Yarbrough » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:26 pm

Wasn't that baby cataraft called the Water Wolf or something named after a animal. One time MT and I flipped a coin to see if we would R2 the original Corky or his Water Wolf. Less than a mile down the Mulberry I felt like I lost a bet. That was one wet ride. No rocker at all. It looked like Huckleberry Finn's raft using modern materials. We punched through a standing wave and the only thing that didn't go under was my head. It was great!
Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:22 am

Rob, you should post this on Mountainbuzz.
You come too.
Robert Frost

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:55 pm

Rob, email me if you have interest in my Jacks Plastic 14 ft cutthroat based but with changes by me. I have the frame set up for one person but the tubes are capable of the two person design. No way would I sell it but would be glad to give you feedback and my thought process to end up with what I have. JPW now offers tubes from short to long and multiple diameters, so you can pick and choose.

I am having a wider frame put together out in Oregon so I can use the tubes on bigger western rivers. The JPW frame works really well on lots of rivers but I want a wider frame for bigger water hence going for a frame 24 inches between the tubes to 43. The current frames JPW makes the oar locks are not welded on and are adjustable forward and back.

This setup works great as a day tripper or carries a two person load for multidays.

lemme know

dave
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Social Media