The good 'ol days

Open Discussion

Prairie Tater
Name: Terry Prater

The good 'ol days

Post by Prairie Tater » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:30 pm

When hi-tech was a '57 Chevy Wagon, a 17' Gruman, a canvas lean-to & a wool jacket:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67630004@ ... 842283832/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly, usually for the same reason." Mark Twain

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Re: The good 'ol days

Post by okieboater » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:40 am

WOW, what a great series of the "good ole days"

Amazing how light weight our gear has ended up.

I keep looking at modern versions of those canvas open front tents. Some now have bug screens added on and should be great to camp in, given a site with space and ground for all the ropes and pegs.

Thanks for sharing this
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:46 am

Those are fantastic!
You come too.
Robert Frost

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:08 pm

Dave, who's building modern versions of these open fronts ? Love those tents. Are those Bakers, or Wheelan styles? A couple of years ago I bought a canvas Springbar, ultimate comfort campground tent when the car isn't far away.
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

okieboater
Name: David L. Reid

Post by okieboater » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:14 pm

Rob,

here are three people who sew these tents that I know of.

https://www.frostriver.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tentsmiths.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/leans.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sure there are others out there.

I like both baker and whelen versions

canvas would be the way, but cooke custom sewing makes a nylon version.
I have a tarp they make and it has held up well

One of these days I am gonna go for it and buy probably one of the canvas models.

Been looking at the Springbars for a while for camping out of the truck. My problem is I use a Roll A Cot to sleep in which is especially comfortable since the accident. The small version looks like my cot would work, but a call to the factory said even tho they would like to sell me the small version - they did not think it would work well for the cot. They recommended one of the larger versions which is more weight than I want to lift. Springbar advised to do my best to not touch the tent sides during rainstorms.

Way Way back me and a paddle bud pooled our limited boating gear money and purchased one of the heavy oiled duck umbrella tents. that thing weighed a ton but man was it a comfortable tent. We had it beside the river on section 0 of the Chatooga, boated down, tornado came up, we could not get back down to the camp site and spent the night parked up top. Finally got down to the river in the morning and our camp and several others close by were washed away. Never replaced that tent but man was it nice to camp in other than the weight.
Okieboater AKA Dave Reid

We are not sure when childhood ends and adulthood begins.

We are sure that when retirement begins, childhood restarts

magicmike
Name: Mike

Post by magicmike » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:02 pm

Thanks for the smiles. As a lover of history and canoeing and photography, I really enjoyed all the pictures. Looks like a fun and dedicated group. Great to think about all those kids having such great experiences and memories.-M- :thumbup:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority,it's time to pause and reflect".

robkanraft

Post by robkanraft » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:02 am

Dave, I have the Campsite 3 Springbar. I bought it with solo base camping comfort in mind. Obviously this isn't a canoe tent, but I can put it up by myself, and fit a standard rollacot, a comfy chair and small table inside when solo. It has so far survived a couple of good wind and rainstorms. I swear it feels cooler in the summer than a nylon tent is and plenty warm in the fall, though my winter cut off is now about 40 degrees unless a heater is involved. When my wife comes along, we can get two rollacots in there on with one on each side, not much else and a little bit of hallway in the middle toward the door.
robkanraft(means rob-kansas-rafter)
robert poole

Prairie Tater

Post by Prairie Tater » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:16 am

The photo that I enjoy the most is the eighth one down. I'm pretty sure this is the Ponca low-water bridge. 1957...WOW!
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly, usually for the same reason." Mark Twain

Yarbrough
Name: Scott Yarbrough, uhMerican

Post by Yarbrough » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Everything that is old is new again. It's funny when looking through those old pictures I was mesmerized by the canvas lean-to tents with porch. I was thinking of what I was going to write. Then I read the rest of the post and you guys are already all over it! Thanks for the links Dave. :clap:
Dr Ray Stantz: Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've *worked* in the private sector. They expect *results*

wiredforsound
Name: Jeff Neisler

Post by wiredforsound » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks for sharing.

Brought back fond memories of the sound of aluminum banging down the rapids : )
Jeff Neisler (aka wiredforsound, formerly known as Godzilla)
4seven9.three8one.5nine9five

dogpatch
Name: Paul Judy

Post by dogpatch » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:09 am

Wow, Terry! Thanks for sharing the link. Makes the Battle For the Buffalo come alive. I would think the Hedges, Hawksleys, and Neil Compton should be in some of these but I couldn't ID. I sent the link to some of those that might have earlier connections with these people. Makes us a little embarrassed of our new high tech gear, vehicles, and rivercraft.

Prairie Tater

Post by Prairie Tater » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Yes, Paul, we are spoiled to all this hi-tech gear. Sometimes, I wish we could go back to those days. Of course, I also wish that I was 40 years younger. ;)

Here is something else that I thought of. In the late Bill Mason's "Water Walker", he says: "People look at my tent and I know what they're thinking. They're thinking "When does the circus begin?" :grin:

dogpatch
Name: Paul Judy

Post by dogpatch » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:27 am

I love Bill Mason. My favorite quote is, "I love canoes. I have sixteen of them. I could use several more, but you have to make do. " :D

Social Media