canoeing with kids

Open Discussion

bjo1

canoeing with kids

Post by bjo1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I've got a young family, but thinking that I'd like to get into paddling as another thing we could do to enjoy time outdoors and explore Arkansas...we're transplants. But I've got lots of questions. I've got 4 kids (age 6, 4, 2 and 6 months), so I'm wondering how young is too young, and places to explore with young ones. I'm thinking I could just start with just the older two at first. Lastly, any recommendations on boats (models, lengths, etc)? We won't be doing any white water any time soon obviously, but we like to camp and like the idea of camping on a multi day float trip. Anyway appreciate any and all advice y'all may have about canoeing with kids. Thanks.

semast

Re: canoeing with kids

Post by semast » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:38 am

We have a soon to be 6 year old and a 3.5 year old and have been reluctant to take them on any major trips yet. I have fond memories of canoeing at this age but my dad tells me it wasn't as enjoyable as I remember. We have taken our daughter canoeing and on several class 1 raft trips. Steel Creek to Kyles, Bull Shoals tailwater, Beaver Lake tailwater, Lake Wedington, pond fishing from a boat.
I paddle whitewater and have been canoeing for years as has my wife. I have been reluctant to go canoeing with the kids due to safety and to avoid scaring them away from paddling. I've seen people have a bad time and worse on class 1. We are hoping for a trip this fall and feel our kids are ready since they are comfortable swimming and going under water. Next year we plan on getting them out a lot.
I guess with all that said, I would suggest starting out with some small trips and build from there. Going out on a small lake or river pool is a good way to learn if you are comfortable in a canoe with the kids. I feel I may be a little overly cautious but that is not a bad thing with the young ones.
Scott Masterson

Deuce
ACC President
Name: Luke Coop

Post by Deuce » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 am

Welcome! You have a lot to ponder and this bunch will be honored to help you sort it out. Following are quite a few thoughts based on personal experiences from taking my kid and other peoples' kids (with and without their parents)down rivers.

First a question for you. You didn't mention the missus or other adult, so does that mean you'll be the only paddler, and if so, do you know your way around a canoe pretty well? Any canoe that can handle your passenger and gear load (you'll need at least a sixteen footer) will be a handful on and off the water; nothing an able bodied and capable paddler can't handle, but a handful. More on that in a moment.

Here's another possibility that I think would work extremely well for you depending on your budget. You'll have a large passenger and gear burden that would be very well suited to a raft. With an oar rig you have so many options you don't have with a canoe. You can carry a big cooler, toys, big tent(s), chairs, tables, porta-potty, etc.; in other words, stuff that would make a float camping trip appealing to very young kids and significant others. And, people can jump off the raft then clamber back aboard and do it again all the way down river if they're so inclined. If that's something you might be interested in there are many here (myself included) who can help you buy and equip an oar boat for about the cost of a new large canoe.

Now to your question regarding age appropriateness. There's no right or wrong answer because there are so many variables when it comes to kids and the outdoors. I've seen six month old babies in mama's lap in the bow of a canoe. That's not something I would have done with my daughter, but my point is that's a question only you can answer. If the six year old is a strong swimmer with a good head on his/her shoulders you might consider putting him/her in an appropriate kayak to lighten your load (not recommending, just suggesting one option that is completely at your discretion).

One thing to guard against with youngsters is biting off too much at one time. On multi-day floats some kids (and adults)get pretty antsy and frightened when the realization sets in that there's no going home early if they get cold or tired or bored or.......... Start with camping trips that include short trips down river and see how it goes, then when you feel your crew's ready for a multi-day find some other adults to join you. There are many many years of river running experience in this club and plenty of members will be willing to help you out. That doesn't mean we'll take responsibility for your kids, but it does mean we'll help you keep an eye on them, render aid when necessary and even help entertain them now and then. Not every member is equipped or willing to do that, but some are. Also, keep an eye on the Paddling Trips section for outings that may be appropriate for your crew to join, and if you're planning a trip and want company post yours. Just keep in mind that constitutes an open invitation, so provide details about trip plans and expectations so there are no misunderstandings.

Finally, I strongly encourage you to attend our annual river paddling school next June. You'll learn boat control, river reading, hazard recognition and avoidance and other stuff that will make your life much easier on the river. Plus, you'll have a lot of fun and meet like minded individuals who once asked the kinds of questions you've asked here. It's a great experience and one that will pay dividends the rest of your river running life.

Hope that helps, and I hope to SYOTR!
You come too.
Robert Frost

bjo1

Post by bjo1 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:40 am

Thanks for the advice. Clarity in writing has never been a strong point of mine. I should have mentioned that the multi-day float trips as a family was the long term goal! Not planning on any of that yet. Anyway, I have had my older two paddling around a lake back in Alabama with me, but wasn't planning on getting on a river until next spring or summer at the earliest (my 6 yr old is a good swimmer, but need to give my 4 yr-old at least another year). I just like to plan ahead, and my biggest concern is biting off too much and turning them off of being on the water.

Eventually my wife would be paddling as well (she has fond memories of doing raft trips on the Nantahala, Hiwassee, and Ocoee as a kid with her dad). But I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico (and I do miss salt water!). So when the time comes, I'll definitely be taking the river class mentioned.

Lastly, I appreciate the suggestion about looking into a raft. That is something I hadn't considered and will need to think it over. Again, that's why I like to ask a lot of questions earlier on before I run out and do anything too crazy! Long term I was thinking that we'd just have 2 or 3 boats to use as a family, but a raft might be the way to go. I guess right now I just need to get something to play around in and find some flat water around Little Rock.

Again, appreciate the input.

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:10 am

Sounds like you're all over it, and FWIW anyone (especially Mrs. Deuce) will tell you if you stick with it you'll have way more than two or three boats! :wht:
You come too.
Robert Frost

BEubanks
Name: Byron Eubanks

Post by BEubanks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:46 am

Won't have too much time before water is too cold to enjoy, BUT if you'd like to bring your crew down and try them out on small lake or short stretch of Caddo River, I have a variety of boats the kids could play in/on/under/around and see if you can get them hooked on the fun. One hour from LR down I 30. Same offer holds next summer.

Ouachitoff
Name: Chris H

Post by Ouachitoff » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:26 am

I would take Byron up on his offer! ^^^

He has the ideal location and scenario to introduce somebody to canoeing and the river!
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
- English proverb

Jim Krueger

Post by Jim Krueger » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:28 am

I can also recommend Byron's and the Lower Caddo there. When the water is at the minimum flow, the little section of the Caddo from the Lower Dam Ramp down to Byron's, or Hwy 67 bridge is real gentle, only about two miles in length, and has numerous nice gravel bars to play on, and swim from. I don't have children but have taken my brother's kids and others on it many times over the years. The micro rapids along the way are good teaching spots and combined with a stop to picnic, it makes a real nice morning.
If you are going down there, I too would suggest doing so soon while the days are still warm enough to enjoy being in the water. This stretch is usually crowded with tubers in the Summer, but I think they should mostly be gone now that Labor Day has come and gone. If you are interested in viewing some floating pictures on this section, just let me know and I will email some.

Best Regards
Jim

Deuce
ACC President

Post by Deuce » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:50 am

Third the Byron recommendation.
You come too.
Robert Frost

BEubanks

Post by BEubanks » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:03 pm

For others who might want to practice/polish some skills, over the weekend I re-hung a set of slalom gates like we used many moons ago to do pool slalom competitions. These are 5 gates hung in an x pattern. It's a great way to polish boat control and the moves required for eddy turns and peel outs, etc. Check out the idea here:

http://www.daveyhearn.com/Whitewater%20 ... course.htm

bjo1

Post by bjo1 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:48 pm

BEubanks wrote:Won't have too much time before water is too cold to enjoy, BUT if you'd like to bring your crew down and try them out on small lake or short stretch of Caddo River, I have a variety of boats the kids could play in/on/under/around and see if you can get them hooked on the fun. One hour from LR down I 30. Same offer holds next summer.
Thanks for the offer! Unfortunately we don't have a free weekend until November, but hopefully we can head your way in the spring or summer.

BEubanks

Post by BEubanks » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Summer is probably better for the kids. Warm water and warm days make for more fun in the water.

You can also find some good archived articles in Canoe and Kayak or Canoeroots magazines about canoe camping with kids. But the advice already given is sound: start with short trips, take plenty of breaks, make sure the kids have comfortable and well-fitting life jackets (more likely to want to keep them on if they fit well), avoid sunburn, etc.

For some interesting reading on the benefits of letting kids have lots of free play outside, check out Richard Louv's book, Last Child in the Woods. Stopping on a gravel bar and letting young kids explore, try to catch crawdads, etc., would be prime examples of what he talks about.

dogpatch
Name: Paul Judy

Post by dogpatch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Get a quality good fitting PFD and get them out at a young age. I think many people wait way too long to get their kids out and miss some great opportunities to provide outdoor and paddling experiences. We just had the one son, but we took him down Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend at under age 2 and he and I tandemed the Hailstone when he was about 7. He backpacked with us at about age 5. He's been on the water ever since. He's now 37 and has already had his 6 month old on the water in a raft a couple of times. Get them out early. :kayak:

dogpatch
Name: Paul Judy

Post by dogpatch » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:25 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/JyBYkBMAugJ8WHdK6

Found this photo of our first trip tandeming down the Hailstone taken at Keyhole. This was taken about 1989.

Social Media