Newbie in need of direction

Open Discussion

cj5wit4wd
Name: Joshua D Hunter

Newbie in need of direction

Post by cj5wit4wd » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Good afternoon everyone, I'm a complete newbie to white water and I was looking for someone in the central Arkansas are to perhaps get some guidance from. I have yet to work on a roll, I think I'm off on Saturday if there will be anyone around UALR? I also wouldn't mind finding someone nearby to start planning some trips with. My best friend got me into a kayak but he isn't as interested in the white water as I am.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Roger

Re: Newbie in need of direction

Post by Roger » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:34 pm

Best bet is to attend the Central Chapter meeting at the Oyster Bar in Little Rock in October. Start there and go have fun. Pretty sure that if they are having roll practice at UALR then someone will chime in since they have a schedule for the most part.
I am I plus my surroundings and if I do not preserve the latter, I do not preserve myself. Jose Ortega Y Gasset

The earth is like a spaceship that didn't come with an operating manual.
Buckminster Fuller

rouble
ACC Webmaster
Name: Chris

Post by rouble » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Isn't October's meeting dutch oven potluck at Allsopp park?
And the UALR pool is closed for maintenance till some time in October.

Crane

Post by Crane » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:39 am

October's meeting is, in fact, the Dutch Oven meeting to be held at Allsop (sp?) Park, just off Cantrell Road.
Crane

Tim Eubanks

Post by Tim Eubanks » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Yes, the October meeting is the Dutch Oven cookout and Potluck in Alsopp Park. Details coming later. Roger, you should get yourself down here for that. We will build a big fire in the fireplace, cook and eat some awesome food, and generally have a good time. :beer2:

we66erno1
Name: doug webber

Post by we66erno1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:33 pm

There's a great event this Saturday in Fort Smith at a wave pool. its geared towards helping people working on their roll and paddle strokes. Both in flat water and when we turn on the waves.
the cost to Arkansas Canoe Members is only $5 to cover the ACA insurance fees. And if you're not a member yet, we'll have people there to sign you up. $30 gets you a membership and insurance fee for the event.

It's only about a 2.5 hour drive from Little Rock. If you have any questions about the event feel free to email me
letsgoboating@arkansaskayak.com
Henry Ford said "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

cj5wit4wd
Name: Joshua D Hunter

Post by cj5wit4wd » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:38 am

we66,

I saw that and am planning on attending, I have to stop in Hot Springs at OOO to get Jeremy to help me outfit my new (to me) Jackson 4fun that I would like to bring to the event. My Katana 10.4 is good to go but I imagine Ill spend more time in the 4fun so I want to learn rolling it in first (also imagine it will be a bit easier in that boat). Thanks for the info!

Social Media